clown n' anemone

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bluefishyjoe

Registered Member
Feb 25, 2006
today i bought a long tentacle anemone (about 5" wide when open) from my local fish store. It seems to be doing good.

In my tank i have about 10lbs of live rock and two 13 1/2- 14 month old percula clowns (tank bred i think)

The fish will not go in or even get too close to the anemone, is there any way that i can get them to go into the anemone?

Also, recently i noticed that one of the clowns has grown noticably larger than the other, why? And they have been folowing each other all of the time, which is something that they didnt usually do, why?

AMETHYST212

AC Members
Mar 2, 2006
QUEENS, NY
it will take some time for the clowns to start hosting the anemone. give it some time. remember you just got it today so its a new objest/species in their tank. so it will take some time to get used to.

derek681

AC Members
Nov 27, 2005
A possible reason why one of your clown fish is growing larger than the other is probably because it is developing into a female as when clown fish are born they are born male and eventually the most dominant fish will turn to female and the others stay as males if the female dies the second most dominant will move up to take her place and so on. Also not all anemones are suited to clown fish their are certain species of anemones that are classed as host anemones for obvious reasons but give it a chance as they are tank bred and at the moment they have never seen anemones but hopefully instinct and curiosity will takeover and they may adopt the anemone as their home which is great fun to watch and still amazes me to this day.

Last edited:

dorkfish

AC Members
Jul 25, 2005
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
whats your lighting, and do you know how much lighting anemones need? In my own tank, it took about 3-4 months for my clown to start trying to host in my button polyps (button polyps don't like this, but the clown sure does), so it will take a while, most clowns availabe in pet stores have never even seen an anemone or for the most part know what it is, some will never host and some will try to host in anything. It's probably something some clowns just lie to do as they have no other reason to be hosting in an anemone in captivity (nothing to eat them).

bluefishyjoe

Registered Member
Feb 25, 2006
i am using power compact with actinic blue and white lighting

also i have observed my clowns hosting in things that range from live rock, to their recent favorite, a ceramic treasure hest. Honest to god they hosted a treasure chest, they were always in the chest and did not stray far from it, i took the chest out when i put the anemone in

nccoastal

eating fish for supper
May 28, 2006
Eastern NC
if your fish were tank breed that might be the reason, not saying all tank breed are like that. In my expirences if you buy wild he will run right to it. tank breed i guess dont know what to do. what you could do if you only had one clown is buy a wild percula and put in there maybe he could show the other one.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store