couple questions on anemone and white furrything

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

piglet007

AC Members
Mar 8, 2005
HI all!! Haven't been here in a long while. I just typed out this long post about one simple question and decided I didnt' want to bore anyone, or get yelled at for anything :)

My question, I need to find information specific on the purple tip anemone. I can't seem to find anything on that particular anemone, at least not the specifics I'm looking for.

In my 35 gl tank we have our 2 clown fish that we moved from my 75 gl tank and our orignal damsel. A coral banded shrimp and there was a purple spotted lobster in there, but beats me if he is still alive. Every so often I find pieces of his exoskeleton but he hasnt' come out and we aren't wanting to move the rock around. I can only assume that he has either crossed over or is overly shy and nocturnal like they say they are LOL :)

We have a purple tip anemone in there now, he is new from hubby. So i sat watching this tank for what felt like hours yesterday. I noticed that on top of the rock there is this little green ball. Very small and kind of clear, but green. I never noticed it before, does it sound familiar to anyone? We have ALOT of bristle worms in the rock and there is some or one living in an empty snail shell on the sand. Then about an hour or two ago I noticed that there are these white things. They aren't the snail swirly things, they are white/translucent furry .. things. They appear to have hairs sticking out one end. Thre are a few on the glass and a big one on one of te rocks. It is kind of cylinderish. rounder at one end, thinner at the end with the hairs coming out of it. I have never seen it before and when looking at the glass, there are a few on the glass, only alot smaller. I thought maybe they were some type of shrimp looking things, but upon closer inspection they look like the large one. Does this sound like anything??? I hope I am explaining it right. Looks cottony. If yous could give me an idea I 'd appreciate it :)

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
What was the specifics you wanted on the anenome?

For the green thing, it sounds like it could be some type of polyp. Happens frequently--they basically shrink down to nothing when conditions are bad, and then come back when conditions are more favorable. If this is a new peice of rock, or one that's be re-arranged, I'd consider this to be the most likely case. As for what type of polyp--wait and see!

The little white things--look sort of like q-tips? Sponges, most likely. Check the hitch hiker link in the sticky above for reference.

piglet007

AC Members
Mar 8, 2005
Thanks OG. I'll go now and look into the hitchhiker thread again. I've been there before but didn't have this thing to look for. Yes, qtip like things, but would sponges show up on the glass? So maybe my green ball is a polyp? I always wondered what they look like lol.

As far as the anemone, hubby talked it over with the lfs for a few visits. It is privately owned, only guy working there aside from a few helpers every so often. He owns it and has been doing it for 30 yrs or so, hubby trusts him. I'm not sure exactly what information he gave him. He said our lighting was fine, we could upgrade but it wasn't a neccesity at this point. Told him to target feed him every couple days and gave him some frozen food. He tried to feed him today and its still sitting there. So basically, I'd like to see what types of food they generally eat, wonder if there is a chance my clowns will host it. anything more specific light wise, behavior I guess. He says it will move around to where it wants to be and I just can't figure that out. He has squished himself back further into the crevis that he is. In the future, after some upgrades, could we have another anemone in there? Will he eat my fish? I've heard of anemones grabbing ahold of fish and eating them.

So basically stuff like that. I'm not sure if it is this site or another that when you look up the specie it gives you all of the basic information on them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store