75 with 14" jaguar cichlid

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

reptileguy2727

Not enough tanks, space, or time
Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
my 14" jaguar just got his new 75. still 2 whisper 60s, i should have a fluval 405 by the end of the summer.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Have you given any serious consideration to donating that fish to a tank that will do him justice? Like a 500-1000 gal? At 14", turning around in a 75 has to hurt, let alone no room to swim freely. While nice looking in general, he has the standard characteristics of being stunted for his species.

reptileguy2727

Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
how is it hard for a 14" fish to turn around in an 18" wide tank? jags dont need 500-1000 gallons. he has room to swim. he usually hangs out in his hide untul he sees me in the room at which point he charges me and flares up at me and continues to do so if he sees me moving. could you explain those characteristics of stunted growth?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Excessive curvature of the back, and it doesn't appear to be the photo angle.

Post a poll at MFK where you have also posted, to see what size is best. Ignore the folks who just want the big fish cause its cool and listen to the serious aquarists. In fact, just do a search on the many past posts over the issue.

You can google the species and learn all you want, or care to.

The charging/flaring is from natural behavior since they think you are invading their territory, obviously a larger area than you are providing.

A 55/75 gal might have been adequate for growout to 8-10", but not for long term, especially where you can achieve 18-22". This is all my opinion, you will end up doing what you want, I just think a 75 gal tank is too small for a 14" fish (Jag).

reptileguy2727

Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
i always read up on any info i find on these awesome fish. i check any book in bookstores that may even have a blurb on the species, i read any info through links or searches i find online, and i talk to as many people as i can that may have more experience with the species than i do. a bigger tank is ideal, but from my research i have gathered that this tank is bare minimum (and i will be the first to admit not close to ideal) and will suffice if i do it right. a 14" fish shouldnt have any problems turning around in an 18" wide tank. back may be slightly curved due to the fact that it did take me a long time to afford to step up to the 75 he is now in, he was just put in it about 3 weeks ago, he was in a 55. but the pic does greatly exaggerate the curvature. considering that he flares up as soon as he sees me in the room (about 10 feet away) do you suggest a 10 feet radius tank? i cant imagine him not flaring up in any commercially available tank. i have googled many times and have come across some great info, but if you have anything in particular i would love to read it.

managuay86

New World Cichlid Keeper
Sep 13, 2005
San Diego, California
hey love the jag and hes pretty healthy, the only thing is that he has a SLIGHT curve in the back and thats it. He has nice color to him and he is goin to do great in the 75 since they are pretty wide and long enough. 150 would be perfect but 75 is good enough. The myth about a fish's growth is stunt is just that a myth. The true side affects of a small tank is that the fish's growth rate will slow down dramatically and it will start to look deformed i.e curve back small or curled up fins. the truth is that fish will keep growing, they just take a lot longer and dont come out looking their best. hey reptileguy if you need any info on managuenses ask me i will prolly know the answer :D oh and i just started breeding my 9 inch managuense with a goldish female managuense and they had their second batch!!!!
"the couple"

managuay86

New World Cichlid Keeper
Sep 13, 2005
San Diego, California
plenty of times! :laugh:

reptileguy2727

Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
mine has drawn blood on me twice. i dont have any particular questions on them, i pretty much know what im doing, thanks though. my understanding with stunting in a small tank is that is usually water quality that inhibits growth. in the wild when the dry season hits and water volumes are dropping, all the fish need to stop growing in an effort for the most fish to make it through. to inhibit growth the increased nitrates inhibit the growth. many/most/all (not sure which) fish give off growth inhibiting pheromones and in the dry season they are even more concentrated than normal. so in a tnak when you do relatively infrequent water changes of lets say 25% once a month, or have a small tank for your stocking level, you are mimicing the dry season of the wild (without the increase in water temp or actual drop in water level). whereas if you do a 50% water change once a week like i have been doing for a while, you are greatly reducing the levels of growth inhibiting chemicals in the water, allowing for superior growth. all my tanks get this water changing schedule and my goldfish and platies are also exhibiting amazing growth and condition. if anyone sees any errors in what i have said please let me know. or if you have any questions on it just ask.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store