Please lightning help!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Arionardo

Registered Member
May 15, 2006
I want to set up a planted 55 gallon tank and I've been reading about lightning. I know that I need to have for plant between 2 and 3 watt per gallon, that means that I need something between 110 and 165 watt for my tank.
I've also been looking at the prices for the lights that I need to get that wattage and they seem a little bit high for my budget and when I add the canopy I need it makes it more expensive so I decided that I'm going to build my own canopy but what I still don't know is this.
I'm thinking in putting "Two energy saving bulbs (according to the box, input 13 Watt, output 60 watt, they are those spiral bulbs) and a 48" long and 40 watt fluorescent lamp, that will give me 160 watt (in theory) that's what I need for my tank but I'm not sure if those bulbs really give 60 watt output or if they are ok to use for a fish tank. The 48" long that I'm going to put is one of those with blue light because I've read that I need the blue light also for my tank. I don't really understand too much about that blue light but since I've seen in more than one place I guess I better put it.

Any suggestion would be very , very apreciate it.

Thanks,

Ario.

Jay-Stew

AC Members
Jan 18, 2006
26 miles North of Lake Erie
Hi, First thing is what kind of tank,and fish are you setting up and keeping and what kind of plants are you growing? I really don't think the spiral flo. are appropriate for your application. You really need the bulb to cover the entire lenght of the tank to ensure proper light coverage of the tank. So you really should use 48" bulbs only, as far as I am concerned. My next suggestion is the kelvin temp. of the bulbs. You need somewhere in the range of 6000 - 10000 k rating to simulate the proper amount of light spectrum emmitted for the plants to benefit. you can shop around there are many diffrent bulbs to choose from. The fish can get away with limited light but not plants. You are right in assuming you need about 110+ watts of light to achieve a good light source for the plants. my other suggestion is if you are building your own canopy you can save some $$ and make your own lights to retro fit underneath the canopy. What i did was built my own canopy then went to HOME DEPOT and bought 2 double strip flourescent ballast light kits. You do have to do some minor wiring though. You need to wire the plug and ballast together, quit simple and they can help you. Going this route can save you about $100+ ,bulbs included. The only thing with this way is you do need to vent your canopy as it does get warm under there,trust me. i just cut 4 ,3" holes in the top of the canopy. you can also get fancy and install a computer cooling fan($10). My other suggestion is to go with powr compact flo. lights, they work very nicely as they are high in wattage. But they are about $200 CAnadian here. I would explore the DIY methoid first as I did and I am happy with it. First get a plan together with your setup and go from there. Lastly I do not recommend cutting corners on your lighting as I beleive it is as important as your filtration. you will not regret it when you are all said and done. Good luck!!!!!!!!! :D
PS. One last thing about DIY lighting is to ensure the aquariumbulbs you use will fire in a flo. shop ballst kit. The guys at the LFS can help you with that. If not come back and ask. :D

chinnp

In denial of MTS
Mar 24, 2005
I bought a 48 inch compact flourescent fixture from Big Als for my 55 gallon. It's the only light I've got on the tank and the swords, hornwort, and Java most I'm growing are fine.

Arionardo

Registered Member
May 15, 2006
See that's what I don't know yet. What's PC stand for? If you say that the watt per gallon rule doesn't apply to it how does that work then?. So for fresh water tank I don't need the blue light at all?
I saw a:

Odyssea 48" 260W (4x65W) Compact Fluorescent Fixture
It comes also with 2x65W CF Daylight 12000K bulb, 2x65W CF actinic blue bulb, 4xbluemoon LED, and mounting legs.

Has anybody had any experience with that brand of fixture? Are they any good?

Jericho

AC Members
Jul 22, 2005
PC is probably refering to power compact. The actinic blue bulb is used primarily for salt water tanks for reef groath. The blue LED lights are a cool night light for the fish and simulates the moon at night. It makes the fish happy from my own experience. The day lights are good but as for how many watts you need depends on what kind of plants you want, the size of your tank, and the depth of your tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store