Green Spotted Puffer

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

melmel

Registered Member
May 22, 2006
I am brand new at this so I am hoping for some pointers. I went to Walmart yesterday and saw the cutest fish ever and bought it. After I got home and looked online (the salesperson did not know anything about the fish) it was saying that it actually isn't a freshwater fish. I have read all about making the water brackish, etc. but here's my concern....
I put my new puffer into my fresh water aquarium already. I am afraid of taking him out, adding marine salt to the water, etc and then putting him back in after he was just taken out of the tank at Walmart. I am afraid that it will be too stressful and hurt him. I am probably just being paranoid but I want to make sure that I dont do something that could hurt him or kill him. Should I just add the marine salt when he is in there? Should I take him out and add it? Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Also I had some dried brine shrimp leftover as well as dried worms (for my previous fish who died) and he doesnt seem to be eating any of it. I'm not sure if he is disoriented at his new surroundings or if its something else or he could be eating and I just didnt see it.

Thanks in advance!!!!

Stefanie

AC Members
Jan 12, 2005
Maryland
I think the easiest way to go over this is (assuming your tank is cycled, no real fresh-water fish in there, tank big enough, ....) to increase the salinity slowly (maybe by 0.001 per week) during water changes. This is such a small increase, that your puffer will not be too stressed out and your bacteria have enough time to deal with this, too.

archerman22

AC Members
Apr 17, 2006
Southwestern Ohio
Well, actually I almost bought one of Wal-marts fish of the month myself. So with the whole brackish water thing, If you don't already have one you should get a hydrometer. As some people have told me on this site, you should only raise the Specific Gravity (SG) of your tank 0.002 units per every 4-5 days. Also if you don't already know this since that is a reasonably sized puffer, it will need snails, or another source of crunchy food, to wear down its teeth. All of this info should be in the thread called Brack Faq, It may even have info on your green spotted puffer. Best of Luck with your newly acquired fish. Puffers are very interesting fish, or so I like to think.

melmel

Registered Member
May 22, 2006
Thanks for the info! I will try adding salinity slowly. Now I have some shopping to do!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store