aquaclear pillows, undegravel filter, powerhead and many more questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ouiouigirl

AC Members
May 21, 2006
Fort Lee, NJ
Hi to all,
I have just finished reading the article about cycling a tank and I am still debating as to whehter I want to do fishless cycling or plant cycling. my last tank was a try out with a plant cycle and that worked fairly well considering I was new at it, however, that tank was a 20 g long and much easier to plant and/or remove plants than the 30 g tall I now have.
Okay, now on with my question, I am planning on setting up the tank this week end, my power filter is aqua clear 300 and it was purchased with all the refills (sponge, carbon and amonia bags). When I start my cycling, whichever one I decide to use, am I correct in assuming that I should not use the amonia pillows? If so, what do I keep or do I keep anything at all (i.e power filter with nothing in it, just the sponge, sponge and carbon pillow?)
Also, I plan on having plants, and am also thinking about an undergravel filter with a powerhead (that's what my other tank had, I enjoyed that). Do you recommend the purchase of an undergravel filter? Powerhead? My concern is that I want to do a southeast asia community tank and bring in one Betta, I am worried about too much current in the tank which would truly exhaust the poor guy in there. I want to set up the bottom layers with the right substrates, like soil and gravel on top, but am concerned that the undergravel filter and powerhead would suck up the soil and mess up the entire effect.
How much is that bio-spira everyone is raving about?
thanks for answering my flow of questions, I have enjoyed reading all your repsonses the last time and am very glad I found this forum this time around. I want it to be goof proof so I'm really catching up on my reading and thinking this through.
Sophia :help:

rohnds

AC Members
Jun 19, 2004
Austin, TX (Born NYC)
www.geocities.com
If you are planting the tank fully, there is no need to cycle the tank. You plants are better than any nitrifying bacteria colony than you can cultivate during the cycling process. With a planted tank, it is more difficult to establish a bacteria colony the N in the NH3 quickly consumed by the plants rather than the bacteria.

AquaClear 300 should have one bio filter media and one mech filter media (if I am not mistaken).
An extra NH3 bag in not necessary.

For a planted tank, I would not recommend a UGF. First they are time bombs waiting to happen and second they clog up easily.

Rohn

ouiouigirl

AC Members
May 21, 2006
Fort Lee, NJ
Thank you for your answer, I am indeed veering towards the idea of cycling the tank with plants...one because it will be faster and my 4 years old here is getting antsy about seeing fish. Two, because let's face it, I have a 30 g tall and that will be a pain to plant anything in there once I have it filled up with water.
still debating the idea of the undergravel filter.
Sophia

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store