Brackish Help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Brackman

Brackman
May 23, 2006
Vancouver, Canada
Hi everyone

I am new to this forum...

And I have a big problem! I have recently moved apartments and have lost a large number of fish and I fear most of my nitrosomonas and nitrobacter bacterias...Here is the story, I will try to keep it short (ish)...I have a 100 gallon brackish tank that I kept 2 almost full grown archers, and 3 Mono Sebaes in. I have had this tank for 8 months now and it had been amazing until the move...On the day of the move, I bagged the archer fish (seperatly), filter media, substrate and the monos went into three large buckets (water change buckets) with about half the water from the tank. I moved fairly quickly (3-4 hours). The archer fish were kept in a styrafoam box and covered to keep them dark and hopefully less stressed. I set up the tank at the new place and thought everything was going well, until I found one Mono was dead and the other two were very black, clamped fins and not swimming well. The Archers seemed stressed but fine. I tested the water in the tank before I reintroduced the fish...it was fine. Again I thought everything was ok but the next day I woke up to find one more mono dead...I tested the water again and no problems. A week passed and one archer would not eat, the mono hid under some brances and leaves and the other archer barely showed himself...It was sad to see what had happened to my beautiful set up...Last week (week three, after the move) one of the archers died overnight! I tested and found the Ammonia was off the charts! I did an emergency water change but within two days it was off the charts again!!! Where is my bacteria??? I have resorted to using some amquel to keep these last two fish alive...I dont know what to do! I cant keep using this stuff but mothing has worked. Sorry for the length but I really need help...

Here are my concerns:

1. How can I figure out this ammonia thing??? Could my Nitrosomonas have ALL died during the move? What could cause so much Ammonia? I have not overfed them and they are definetly not overcrowded...

2. How long can my now solitary Mono survive without his small school? And even if I could introduce new Monos (which I cant right now), he hates new fish.

3. Are Archer fish ok as single fish or do they prefer a mate? I dont know how soon I could get him a friend.

If you have any ideas at all please let me know! I am desperate for help.

Thank you so much for your time!

archerman22

AC Members
Apr 17, 2006
Southwestern Ohio
http://www.bioconlabs.com/nitribactfacts.html

Maybe take a look at the above website for your ammonia problems. It could help.

As for your other questions, I'm not sure about the mono thriving alone, but as you have already stated they are schooling fish so you should probably look into getting at least 2 more. I do know though that archers can be alone, but like monos would probably prefer to be in a school of 3 or more. Also I would probably recommend getting fish around the same size as the ones you already have if at all possible, since I am pretty sure that these types of fish tend to be a little more on the aggressive side and would probably pick at, if not kill smaller fish. Good luck with all of your fish.

bearlasmom

bearlasmom
May 25, 2006
Bala Ontario
Brackman said:
Hi everyone

I am new to this forum...

And I have a big problem! I have recently moved apartments and have lost a large number of fish and I fear most of my nitrosomonas and nitrobacter bacterias...Here is the story, I will try to keep it short (ish)...I have a 100 gallon brackish tank that I kept 2 almost full grown archers, and 3 Mono Sebaes in. I have had this tank for 8 months now and it had been amazing until the move...On the day of the move, I bagged the archer fish (seperatly), filter media, substrate and the monos went into three large buckets (water change buckets) with about half the water from the tank. I moved fairly quickly (3-4 hours). The archer fish were kept in a styrafoam box and covered to keep them dark and hopefully less stressed. I set up the tank at the new place and thought everything was going well, until I found one Mono was dead and the other two were very black, clamped fins and not swimming well. The Archers seemed stressed but fine. I tested the water in the tank before I reintroduced the fish...it was fine. Again I thought everything was ok but the next day I woke up to find one more mono dead...I tested the water again and no problems. A week passed and one archer would not eat, the mono hid under some brances and leaves and the other archer barely showed himself...It was sad to see what had happened to my beautiful set up...Last week (week three, after the move) one of the archers died overnight! I tested and found the Ammonia was off the charts! I did an emergency water change but within two days it was off the charts again!!! Where is my bacteria??? I have resorted to using some amquel to keep these last two fish alive...I dont know what to do! I cant keep using this stuff but mothing has worked. Sorry for the length but I really need help...

Here are my concerns:

1. How can I figure out this ammonia thing??? Could my Nitrosomonas have ALL died during the move? What could cause so much Ammonia? I have not overfed them and they are definetly not overcrowded...

2. How long can my now solitary Mono survive without his small school? And even if I could introduce new Monos (which I cant right now), he hates new fish.

3. Are Archer fish ok as single fish or do they prefer a mate? I dont know how soon I could get him a friend.

If you have any ideas at all please let me know! I am desperate for help.

Thank you so much for your time!
Just a thought because i am new to the forum but not to taking care of tanks,
You said they went 3-4 hours in the bucket right? Did they have a oxygen line/ The ammonia could have been caused by something simple as the water in your area having a different chemical makeup. When you transfer a tank, you can cut down on ammonia by adding ammonia lock, he may hate new fish because he considered himself the boss of the tank, when you are wanting to add the new fish, move some things around in the tank and try waiting it out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store