new brackish setup

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sixpack_ey

AC Members
Apr 28, 2006
First off, I am new to the forum, so I want to say hi to everyone. I have been in the FW fish hobby for about seven years, and I am wanting to set up my first brackish water tank. I have picked out fish I want to include, but I'm not sure on the number of each fish to get and wanted to check compatability. The aquarium is 75 gallons. I want to include 4 monos (which I already have- 2 mono sebae and 2 mono argenteus), ruby scats, silver needle nose gar(probably 1), archer, four eyed fish, and one dragon fish. I guess I'm wanting to know if my aquarium is big enough for these fish and how many I should get of each. Any information would be very helpful. Thanks!

Brackman

Brackman
May 23, 2006
Vancouver, Canada
Hey

Your 75g tank may only be big enough for the monos at the most! They grow very large and need swimming space...I have 3 Mono Sebae in a 100 gallon with a Banded Archer (use to be a pair) and it is crowded...They get very aggressive towards the archer! I am currently looking for a new home for my Archer. I have had Monos for around 4 years now and they grow really fast!

How big are the monos now? They seem to reach at least 5" tall by a year.

Scats also get quite large! And are much happier in groups...So they need lots of room too.

Maybe you would get away with the Monos and a pair of Scats or an Archer or two but you may have some problems. I wouldnt do much more than that in a 75gallon tank...Just my opinion though.

Also as the Monos reach Adult size (mine are all around 10" tall) they need a much higher SG. Pretty much Marine...Mine are at 1.018 right now but as soon as the Archer moves then they will move on to full Marine water.

I dont know if this helps? It is just based on my experiences (I use to work at the Vancouver Aquarium and got lots of invaluable advice from everyone there)...

Good Luck

sixpack_ey

AC Members
Apr 28, 2006
Thanks for the help! What are your thought of keeping monos with rays(in a very large tank)? Just curious!

sixpack_ey

AC Members
Apr 28, 2006
my monos

I have one of each species for about two years. The sebae is almost 5 inches tall. The other two I just got a few months ago, they are pretty small. Right now they are in FW- at the LFS I got them at they told me they could live in FW or brackish, which now I know FW is not the greatest environment for the fish. I am anxious to get them in brackish water. I've been really excited about setting up the new tank and am very interested in the fish I picked. I may just get a bigger tank. What would you say would be adequate for the 4 monos, a scat(if they are okay living without other scats), and the otehr fish I listed?

Brackman

Brackman
May 23, 2006
Vancouver, Canada
Hey

Monos definetly need brackish water...and a higher salinity as they age. They can be kept with scats or archers or rays, IF you have a big enough tank! These are all quite large fish who really need room to swim. I think the 4 monos and a few scats would do well in a 100g but you never know (I have one Mono Sebae who is very aggressive towards any other fish I keep with him besides other Monos). If they are together from young then they are probably ok too. As for the other fish, you may need a much larger tank if you want ALL those fish!

I dont have much experience with Scats so I dont know how happy they are without other scats. I have kept Archer fish solo and they seem to do well...

Hope that helps.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store