New Reef Tank set-up order

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

4mesmith

Registered Member
May 25, 2006
While I have had fish only saltwater tanks some years ago, I am now setting up a corner (pentagon) 30x30x30 tank of approx 110-120 gal. While I am having filtration system and lighting dsigned as well as tank and stand, I have been purchasing the misc stuff. While I have read a lot!!!, nowhere do I see the correct set-up order ie. sand(live), saltwater, coral supports, base live coral for cycling and finally the "nice" live coral. I am confused as to the order or method for the initial internal set-up to start cycling. Can I have some input as to the correct order in which to do this? many thanks

dorkfish

AC Members
Jul 25, 2005
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
what I did was, put sand in bottom first (not live sand) put in some water and rocks that came from a friends tank, filled with more newl mixed water up to about 5" from the top, set up all other equipment, finished filling with water, then, in about a week, I went and got my first batch of live rock. About 4-5 months after setting the tank up I added about 4 pounds of livesand to introduce some more life to the tank.

mysis

AC Members
Oct 4, 2005
I would reccomend for a new person to first start off with a DSB (deep sand bed) this removes nutrients from the water like nitrate etc, it should be atleast 10 cm deep, also you can add your base Live rock. after it has gone through the initial cycle you can then add the premium live rock and also seed the sand bed with live sand. thern wait for it to cycle again (this time it will be smaller). during these cycles it is a good idea to properly set up your equipment if you have for example a skimmer or calcium reactor, as they can take some time to fine tune.

Good luck
Dean

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store