Random Question...Watering House Plants w/ Fish Water

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

webcricket

(So chill.) No wonder it's freezing
Mar 22, 2006
Syracuse, NY
I have a huge tree-like house plant that I keep next to my tanks. It occurred to me today while doing a water change that the plant might benefit from being watered with some fish tank water (nitrates and other dissolved minerals).

I'm attached to the plant, so I wanted to ask if people think this would be an okay thing to do before I started.

DeputyChiefJR

Glub! Glub!
Jan 18, 2006
Central Ct
Sounds like a good idea...might want to mix it with some fresh in case it has been stripped of some nutrients

Theatre1sm

AC Members
Oct 10, 2005
Olive Branch, MS
We water our collection of over 80 plants with the water from our 6 freshwater tanks every week. Since we started doing this the plants have flourished - only the african violets need additional nutrients so far.

Last edited:

hike13

Hello Gorgeous
Aug 23, 2005
SF, CA
I've been doing that for a few months now since someone suggested it to me here on AC. The only time I stopped was after I had dosed with meds. Figured my plants didn't need anti fungal medicine. They seem to love it.

Jericho

AC Members
Jul 22, 2005
Do it all the time and the plants love it. I save the water in 2 liter bottles and water all week with them...

Fish Kate

Don't Eat the Puppies
Sep 9, 2005
Chicago
I also water my houseplants with fish water. I've read that it's excellent for them. Fish waste is good fertilizer, just like bat guano, earthworm castings and elephant dung!!! (Yeah, off topic but believe it or not, when the circus comes to Chicago, gardening enthusiasts line up with their containers, waiting for the elephants to poop!) :p:

rosita

Here
Jan 11, 2006
Cape Fear River Basin
Fish Kate said:
I also water my houseplants with fish water. I've read that it's excellent for them. Fish waste is good fertilizer, just like bat guano, earthworm castings and elephant dung!!! (Yeah, off topic but believe it or not, when the circus comes to Chicago, gardening enthusiasts line up with their containers, waiting for the elephants to poop!) :p:
Works great for my plants, too!! (don't forget the horse poop on the list--aged, it'll grow hair on an eight-ball) :clap:

mrgrudge

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
When I do water changes I pour the water into the garden. Seems much less wasteful than pouring it down the sink drain.

twig

AC Members
Apr 28, 2006
Yup it's really good to water plants with the used water. It's a natural fertilizer (You can even try old coffee but i've never tried it myself =P) so theres no risk of overfeeding your plant.

In fact,
I water all my bonsai and pre-bonsai with fish water and dose it with 1-1-1 seaweed fert I got from my uncle :D

map_davis

AC Members
May 2, 2006
I have used fish water on my mother's plants when I was at home and now I use it on the plants outside, they seem to love it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store