Sick Fantail

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jammanjt

AC Members
May 25, 2006
HI,

I am new to the hobby and made the mistake of purchasing fish at walmart about two weeks ago. I have my little fantail in a 10 gallon tank with an undergravel filter/aerator. Yesturday he began gasping at the top of the tank for air, and today he has settled to the bottom and is lying on his side. I performed 40% water change, and added a tablespoon of aquarium salt, yet the condition remains unchanged. Is there any further action I can take?!
Thank you!!!!!

Last edited:

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
what were you feeding him? Have you tested the tank water for ammonia, nitrates, nitrites? I'm assuming this tank is not cycled?

Goldfish flakes are not good for the goldies because they take in too much air when gulping at the surface. If the water params are good, try feeding skinned peas.

Last edited:

jammanjt

AC Members
May 25, 2006
Thanks

Dangerdoll,

I was feeding him flakes perhaps that was the problem! I tested my water parameters (Nitrates, Nitrites, Ph, Ammonia) and all were within reasonable limits. Sadly, my fantail is no longer with us; I made the stupid mistake of buying him from Wal-mart. I figure my 5 gallon is probably better suited for a betta as they do better in a smaller environment. thanks for your help

jammanjt

AC Members
May 25, 2006
sorry about that, its a 5 gallon.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store