"Tough" plants or "soft" plants.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sigundo

Registered Member
Nov 15, 2005
I am trying to get a planted tank, but picked up some Pink Kissing Fish. (yes, I know). The information I can find on the internet says that you can put hardy plants in with them but they'll eat soft plants. Unfortunately, besides Java Fern, I can't really find out what plants are considered hardy. I'll get rid of this fish if I have to, but would like to keep them if I can (they are actually doing a nice job eating algae right now as there is a local shortage of Otocinclus). I didn't know kissing fish ate algae, but they are...

These are the plants I have...

Dwarf Sagittaria
Hornwort (I don't think ANYTHING eats this)
Anubias Nana
Crypt Wendtii
Crypt Lucens
Ozelot Sword
Amazon Sword
Valspiralis

These are lower-light plants, so I would assume would have to be a bit hardier than most aquarium plants (and they're still alive, in my tank, which means they are reasonably tough). Was just wondering if anybody had kissing fish with these type plants and whether or not they were mysteriously eaten. (so far they seem to be eating algae off the leaves, as I've not seen any bits of leaves missing, but if I have to chosse between plants and kissing fish, the fish are going to have to go.

djlen

Fish?.......What Fish?
Aug 19, 2002
Somerdale, New Jersey USA
Kissing Gouramis can be tough on some 'soft' plants because they like to 'rasp' on everything to get available algae.
IMO, all of the plants that you list should hold up OK except possibly the Vals. But I would leave them in the tank and see how they do. I've had them in tanks with Gouramis in the past with little or no problems.:)

Len

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store