Aquarium - light or no light?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

carriebourdeau

AC Members
May 15, 2006
Hi,

I have a 10 gal with 3 hatchets, 1 glass catfish and 1 very small algae eater (about 1in). I have no natural plants. I like ambient light - is there any reason to turn on the tank lid light?

Here's the real question - - Would the fish be happier in natural light? Does the brighter tank light scare or shock the fish when it is suddenly turned on or off?? I live in Vegas so it is bright and sunny 345 days a year. I have the tank away from the window in a medium sized room that has venetian shades allowing partial ambient light.

What do you think?

Ms.Bubbles

AC Members
Sep 26, 2005
While fish do need a natural day/night cycle, I would think this can be achieved just using ambient light from windows. I believe aquarium lights are primarily for viewing the fish, and for growing aquarium plants.
In fact, my betta seems to move about more in the tank when the lights are off. My endlers are completely oblivious--they swim around in circles no matter what's going on. I've heard of fish that are quite skittish & actually jump out of the tank when the lights are suddenly turned on! That can't be good.

If you're not growing plants, and you can see your fish's colours enough using ambient light, I see no problem. Although, it might be a good idea to turn the lights on from time to time to view the behaviour and physical state of the fish, to make sure there are no illnesses present.

Last edited:

dorkfish

AC Members
Jul 25, 2005
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
The only reason you would need it on is to grow algae for yur algae for your algae eater, wich can be suplemented with algae based prepared foods.What kind of algae eater is it? if it's a common pleco, your either gonna have to bring it back to the fish/pet store or prepare for a series of upgrades, in the end you should end up with a 280g.If you don't know what kind it is, look here to find out.

carriebourdeau

AC Members
May 15, 2006
Hey -
Thanks for the link-

It looks like a Gyrinocheilus aymonieri (Chinese Algae Eater, CAE).

The aquarium person said it would be good for my 10 gal 3 weeks ago when I bought it but clearly - if it gets to be 10-12 cm long - that is too big for a 10 gal.

I'm working on achieving the delicate balance necessary for the 10 gal and if I have mild to great success, I'll take on a bigger tank and transfer the Chineese guy to that. If I have little to no success, I'll gift the fish to my secretary's husband who has a bigger tank housing only 1 fish who probably needs company.

DeputyChiefJR

Glub! Glub!
Jan 18, 2006
Central Ct
Take back the CAE, they're nothing but nightmares...get an Oto or even an SAE is better

dorkfish

AC Members
Jul 25, 2005
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
Personally, I think if you have a fish that gets to big for your tank in your not gonna achieve the succes you want to achieve before moving to a bigger tank, so it's probably best to either give it to your secretary (depending on what the other fish is) or trade in or donate it to a local fish store.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store