Bolivian Rams - is this courting behavior?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

twomz

AC Members
May 28, 2006
I recently purchased a pair of Bolivian Rams from my LFS. I tried to sex them as best as I could and it appeared to be a male and female since the male (I presume) has taller 1st and 2nd extensions of the dorsal fin compared to the other which I believe to be a female since the dorsal appears to be the same height throughout and smaller. I have them in a well planted 20g long with a pair of Gold Rams and 8 neon tetras. They love their new home, are very active, and get along with the other tank mates just fine. I was observing their behavior the other day and noticed them locking jaws at some moments. Is this a sign of courting behavior? They have not really laid claim to any part of the tank yet, and neither have the Gold Rams as I introduced both pairs at the same time. The Gold Rams do chase each around and do appear to be a true pair from my judgement. Any insight onto the Bolivian Rams' behavior would be appreciated. Thanks.

Cathy G

Bolivians Rock
Jan 15, 2006
Wisconsin USA
www.cathygeier.com
Hi,

I have breeding bolivians - only time will tell. My pair did lock lips in the beginning, but 2 males might do this too. (The taller extensions on dorsal fins are no longer a perfect way to sex these guys...)

However, if they keep fighting and then choose seperate territories, you will know you have an oops moment and have to return/exchange one! If on the other hand they lock lips occasionally still kinda hang together then you will have a whew! moment, and can get ready for babies!

They are great fish,
Cathy

momar

Born too late
Jan 6, 2006
UK
My Bolivian rams occassionally do this as well, but otherwise they tend to keep away from each other. the bigger one will often chase off the smaller one if it gets to close, so I don't think they are a pair. (I don't know if they are male and female, though).

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Quite by luck I found got a pair of spawning Bolivian rams.

the first thing is the male is larger.distinctly larger in this case. the males are nearly 3 " while the females are slightly more than 2"..the males has a more strealined body..the female rounder(especially if she's is carrying eggs)

the coloration is nearly identical..the males 2nd and 3rd extensions on the dorsal is larger but mainly because the fish is larger.

in behavior I did not see lip locking but the male did swim around the female and coax her into his corner of the tank..he basically placed his body between the female and all other fish in the tank ..and gently nudged her with his side pushing her into the corner..within 48 hrs they spawned on a rock..3 days later they dug a nest in the gravel and have the wigglers in the gravel while they stand guard.

mrlimpet

AC Members
May 15, 2005
i too have a breeding pair of bolivians. i pretty much agree with everything that's been said. a surer method of sexing i believe is to examine their sex organs just in front of the anal fin. the female's ovipositor (sp?) will be larger and clearly evident while the male's organ is smaller and pointed. a picture is worth a thousand words so here's a pic of my pair with female on the left and the male on the right...

they spawned almost exactly a year ago and i'm taking some of the fry to a fish auction this friday :thm:

Unikorn

AC Members
Feb 9, 2012
seattle,wa
I recently seem to have gotten lucky and gotten a male and female Bolivian ram. I wanted to know if this behavior is part of courting: The female swims up to the male and touches her mouth to his side and the two fish form a T shape. The female seems to have deemed the spot under the driftwood as her territory and doesn't let the male over there. The male is much less territorial with the female.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store