rena filstar xp3

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

psychadelicdrea

AC Members
Oct 6, 2004
i picked up this filter from someone (i wont tell you how much i paid,cause it would prolly just make u sick lol brand new to..all still sealed in plastic and styrofoam) but i have a few questions about it....i got it and a skimmer cause i was going to make my 125 into a saltwater but im having second thoughts about it cause of the price of the rock and such and to fill up a 125 nicely is quit expensive, im not abandoning my saltwater journey just holding off till i buy a 75-90 gallon....which leads to my outher question i got this rena for the saltwater should i save it for that or should i use it on my 125 for the freashwater cause i do wanna put several larger cichlids in it and i do have 2 emp 400's to put on it. the emp's do like 70 or so gallons per hour and the rena does up to 175 gallons,but i was thinking i should use the rena on the 125 cause im going to try to get the saltwater tank reef ready so i can just screw a wet/dry right onto it so what do u all think...sorry about the run on sentence

oh and its got like 3 chambers and the book mentions lots of options for stuff to put in it like bio-chem zorb and nitrates eliminators and micro filtration pad
phosphates zob and bio chem stars and ceramic rings and carbon. what works best..this is my first run with a canister filter
This rena looks like a pretty nice filter tho, ive had it sitting under my tank for about 2 months now just looking at it you think it would be tricky with the to set up with the spray bar from the rena and the room the 2 emps take up?

Last edited:

Gunnie

Newbie forever
Jun 8, 2003
Tallahassee, FL
www.egunsellers.com
I think it would be great for your freshwater tank! I have an XP2 and XP3 running along with a HOB and sponge filter in my 100 gal. tank. The spraybar will not be a problem. My oscars keep knocking mine loose, so I quit screwing it back on. I think the filstars are great filters. ;)

Bmeasure

Humble disciple of Jesus Christ
Aug 6, 2004
Savannah, GA.
Visit site
I'd definately use it. If you are wanting to house large cichlids, you will want as much filtration as possible. By the way, your Emps will either be putting out 270 gph (which I think you meant) or 400gph. That is 540 gph together, then add the Filstar, which is 350 gph. This comes to 890 gph maximum water turn-over, which never really happens when you stuff the filters with all the media, and especially when they get a bit of junk in them. Many large cichlid lovers (myself included) run no less than 10x the gallons of the tank in water turn-over each hour. I have run up to 20x before. This doesn't throw the water around the tank in the way you would think. I even try for 10x turn-over in my planted tanks nowadays. This helps get the detritus off of plants and decorations and into the filters to be frequently cleaned out.

If you use this common 10x minimum turn-over you will need in excess of 1,250 gallons per hour in water flow. I have an Emp 400 that I still use, but it is a rather noisy and glitchy piece of equipment. The main issue I have is the bio-wheels sticking because of the snails getting stuck between them and the filter housing. This happens about once every two weeks. I think the filters with the fewest moving parts generally are th most reliable and quiet.

psychadelicdrea

AC Members
Oct 6, 2004
yeah they are emp 400's ill have two emp 400's and a rena xp3 and two powerheads dont you think this is enough ? only way i think i could up that is to add anouther canister filter....

Bmeasure

Humble disciple of Jesus Christ
Aug 6, 2004
Savannah, GA.
Visit site
Yea, if they are Emp 400s and you have additional powerheads that should be enough. You are almost at 10x with just the Emps and XP3, so whatever size powerheads you have should be fine.

psychadelicdrea

AC Members
Oct 6, 2004
they are 1140's the marineland ones...i got these at a really nice price to but if i had taken them out of the boxes i would of chose anouther brand cause i hate really hate the way their designed the suction cup never holds it and it always falls down... they would make a great ugf powerhead but useing it for a way to circulate water they arnt very good at least in my opinion

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store