Gold fish a bad diet,no!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kjenber

AC Members
Jan 8, 2006
MI
Cut And Dry. I have a lot of fish That will eat nothing but fish.
It is unrealistic to start to farm my own.Like I said my fish eat alot.
Gold fish are cheep at 10cents. I go threw about 50 a week.
I have only had one cas of ick on my eel in the 1 to 2 years I have had
thies fish. I put in salt ick gone everyons happy yada yada.
As far as how nutritionus they are,I dont know. But refer to the begining.
I cant afford/or will not buy 4$dollor jack dempsys to feed to them, It would
get $$$$$$$$$.
I feed my gold fish the best gold fish food money can bye.
Is ther enay more I can do to make my gold fish full of all the good stuff
Steroides WHATTTTTTTT.

kjenber

AC Members
Jan 8, 2006
MI
How do I get my gold fish to meet everyones standerd of a good meal.
ARE ROSEY FEEDERS MORE HELTHEY

Jericho

AC Members
Jul 22, 2005
I know of people that feed nothing but gold fish and have not had any major health problems. The main problem that I have heard of is that the fish are kept in large tanks for breeding and are not the healthiest of fish. If you want to raise fish get some guppies or other fish that do nothing but breed and use them as feeders.

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
I use Convicts for feeders, well just started and it only took a week to get fry.From what I understand if I had another tank to move the fry to the Convicts would breed another batch. But since they're in the same tank they're busy taking care of them.

Easy to breed and interesting to watch them be parents. Also Convicts are pretty cheap, like $3 a piece.

RockabillyChick

Kilt-lifter
Nov 5, 2005
Washington state
goldfish are very high in fat, and heavy metals like mercury and lead are stored in the fat of the fish.

a better option would be to breed your own convict fry. convicts need no special treatment to breed, and they will spawn about 200-300 fry each time. a favorite saying about cons is "To breed cons, just add water"

reptileguy2727

Not enough tanks, space, or time
Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
no problems YET doesnt mean you arent risking your fishes' lives, but if it is species that will refuse anything but live, not much you can do.

kjenber

AC Members
Jan 8, 2006
MI
I was in a few lfs today and they all have convict. how do I tell mail from femail, I did note some had a red/yellow belly and some did not.
Thank you all for advice.

RockabillyChick

Kilt-lifter
Nov 5, 2005
Washington state
best thing to do is get about 6 of them and let them pair off themselves. ask the LFS if you can bring them back after you get a pair.

Toirtis

Keeper of strange fishes
Goldfish are far from nutritionally complete, even for obligate piscavores...what is more, they contain an enzyme that destroys thiamine in the fish that eat them, so a fish fed exclusively on goldfish will be malnutritioned after a time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store