150gal oscar tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I'm building a pond for my turtles and I might try to keep them out there year round. In that case, the 150 I was going to use for them in the winter is free. I've never had oscars before but I think they're really awesome fish, I had a friend with a big one. How many could I get into a 150gal? I'm thinking probably 3-4, I'm going to have a big wet/dry system set up underneath it, with obviously lots of mech filtration inside.

DeputyChiefJR

Glub! Glub!
Jan 18, 2006
Central Ct
Sploke, when you decide to get on let me know, I saw some juvies that were absolutely gorgeous yesterday and they're not too expensive...They were at the Puppy Center inWest Hartford....Some of the nicest markings I've ever seen on Oscar and long, beautiful fins....

Zeromason577

AC Members
Apr 10, 2006
Portland,Oregon
Well, I have never kept oscars, but I do know a few friends who have had them in a 180. they only had 2, the most I would think would be 3.

Im no expert, but I beleave they can get to 12 inches or more.

tricksterpup

It's SPRING!!! BUNNIE RABBITS
Apr 16, 2001
Minneapolis
tricksterpupstanks.blogspot.com
Real Name
Jim Soos
A buddy of mine had 6 in a 150 and when I got my 55, I was given 2 10 inch adults. I passed them on to him and they were all fine. Mine were constantly fighting due to being cramped. So he placed them in his tank and they schooled with the other fish. It was really neat. So I am sure you can add a few more than 3 in a tank that size. A 150 is a deep and huge tank but then again, a properly setup turtle tank would be neat as well. :D

reptileguy2727

Not enough tanks, space, or time
Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
how many really depends on how often you want to be doing water changes, the more of them in there the more often you will need to do water changes. i wouldnt put more than 5 in there. even then it is up to them to tolerate eachother, which doesnt always happen. do you have the filtration yet? if not take a look into the Fluval FX5. oscars get to about a foot, and if any pair off the others need to be removed or they will be killed. are you wanting just oscars, not any other big cichlids?

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I dunno, I've had a few other types of cichlids and I wanted to try oscars since you always hear how they're so personable and everything. I've seen the FX5, but I could make about 5 homemade filters for the price of one of those. Nice rog, just too dang expensive.

DeputyChiefJR

Glub! Glub!
Jan 18, 2006
Central Ct
I like the Magnum 350

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
If I got, say 4 oscars in there, what else could I put in there? I'm afraid anything I use as dither fish will be eaten. I might look at some sort of pleco..are there any schooling fish that are quick enough to stay away from oscars? Danios maybe?

fiske

AC Members
Apr 1, 2006
Pennsylvania
If you only kept an oscar or two you could add a school of 5 to 10 inch fish, maybe a dozen silver dollars or six tinfoil barbs. Some australian rainbow species might work but it would be iffy. If it was me, I would cycle the tank with 4-5 tinfoils, slowly add 8-12 silver dollars, and start looking for one oscar a year later.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I'm thinking now that I might try moving my pair of gold severums into that tank...Would they get along with a single oscar and maybe some tinfoil barbs or something?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store