120 cichlid tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pumpitup724

Registered Member
Jun 2, 2006
hi i used to use my 120 gal for my goldies but they have since been moved to the pond and I would like to turn my 120 into a cichlid tank. What would be some neat combinations to use? Thanks

DeputyChiefJR

Glub! Glub!
Jan 18, 2006
Central Ct
OMG, i'm quite envious...I'd use it for a fleet of Africans...That could hold an amazing display...some rocks, driftwood, random plants (optional)......wow, 120 gallons (imitating the "50 yards" moment from Nat'l Lampoon's Vacation)

pumpitup724

Registered Member
Jun 2, 2006
in that link i would like to have any from the johanni all the way down to the orange peacock so there is about 20 to choose from. I would like to have an assortment of them with a pleco.

tonytheboss1

AC Members
May 16, 2006
N.Y.C.
Real Name
TONY
:cool: I like "DeputyChiefJR"'s idea. A'120' beautifully 'scaped' w/ assorted africans. Pick a lake (Malawi, Tanganyka, ect.) & go crazy!! Ahhhhh! to DREAM!! I am curious about the pleco though?? Are we talkin 'common' ? There are hundreds of 'cats' that are refered to as 'plecos', some are 2 inches - some are 22 inches!!

DeputyChiefJR

Glub! Glub!
Jan 18, 2006
Central Ct
With Malawis you could comfortably fit almost 50 fish in taht tank

DeputyChiefJR

Glub! Glub!
Jan 18, 2006
Central Ct
Nope, blue dempsey are South/Central American, you'd have problems, it also grows to a size that would make the rest of your fish become food

pumpitup724

Registered Member
Jun 2, 2006
well darn but the as far as the pleco goes I would like to get one that will not get any bigger than 12". I am very new to the cichlids so I'm leaving it up to everyone to help me with the right combinations. I am kinda partial to any of the fish with the blue markings. Also would a blue dolphin cichlid be compatible?

DeputyChiefJR

Glub! Glub!
Jan 18, 2006
Central Ct
There are SOOOOOO many africans with blue markings...Johanni, Demanosi, Kenyii, Hongi, Cobalts, Mbenji

There are others that are iridescent like Auroras and Powder-somethings...

You've picked a group of fish that can rival saltwaters in color...Don't count our Peacocks, some are absolutely stunning in adult color

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store