hundreds of white spots on glass

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mark_10

AC Members
Apr 20, 2006
hundreds of white spots on glass (posted pic)

I recently put 50 pounds of live rock in my aquarium. Its been in my aquarium for about 2 weeks and i just notice today that there are hundreds of litte white spots all over the glass. The white spots look like ich but with tenticles and they are all over the glass. Does anybody know what this is?

Live rock was cured for one month before put into my aquarium.
(posted pic)

Last edited:

gman52

AC Members
Apr 23, 2005
It is most likely a type of tube worm. They are good for your system, and a sign of a healthy tank.

Mark_10

AC Members
Apr 20, 2006
Thanks Gman, i'll keep on checking to see what it is and if i cant find out i'll take a pic and post it.

Mark_10

AC Members
Apr 20, 2006
i posted a pic that i found and that's what it looks like exactly and i have hundred of these litte critters all over the glass does anybody know what this is? Good or Bad for my aquarium

gomrjoe

AC Members
May 22, 2006
Miami, FL.
GMan is right , it looks like a flavor of tube worm perhaps. And if definitely a sign of a healthy aquarium. I have a very similar situation. I had a rock come in that was completely infested with tube worms, and when I say infested, we are talking literally 30 little tube worms popping out of every hole imaginable, never seen anything like it before. Now they have spread all over my tank, easily have to have well over 60 little tube worms in my tank now.

gman52

AC Members
Apr 23, 2005
now that i have seen what your talking about, they look to be hydroids. they dont cause any major problems, may sting your fish however. never had to deal with them myself, but i read they usually dissapear on their own.

you should probably do a google search on them, but i wouldn't worry too much.

edikpok

AC Members
Jan 1, 2006
I had the same thingies when I just set up my tank. All I did to make them go away was to clean then using a sponge. They do come back but in muuch smaller numbers. Then you clean them again and show them who the boss is :)

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Hydroids typically won't survive in a tank for too long. They aren't the most desirable thing, but nor are the considered a pest. Harmless, in the long run, and probably only present for the short run.

Mark_10

AC Members
Apr 20, 2006
Thanks for the replies, I really appreicted it.

I was reading up on hydroids and i read that they sting fish and people.
Would the best thing to do is get rid of them or just leave them?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store