Rusties DOA?? Mysterious death? Or murder?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rosita

Here
Jan 11, 2006
Cape Fear River Basin
Hey. I bought 3 small Rusties today from a fairly reputable LFS that I'd never been to. Excellent aquatic section, wonderful filtration, very healthy looking fish, so I picked up 3 Rusties to start my 55 back up. Went back to work, got home @ 3 hours later, checked them out, and the two smaller ones were almost dead, upside down. The third is larger--a good 3"; the other two are not quite 2", with juvenile bodies. My thinking is, the bigger one just bludgeoned the others to death before I could get them home???? (Shoulda coulda woulda---separated into 2 bags at the LFS). I'm sure I can get a refund, but do you think this is the possible death scenario?? The big one is fine, acclimating. 3 hours is, I think, the longest I've taken to get fish home, but they were in a double-bagged opaque plastic shopping bag, carried them quietly into work, then home. ?????? The mystery continues . . . . :confused: Thanks!!!

BettaonNeo

BettaonNeo
Jun 5, 2006
I myself have never had a case quite like that, but I think possibly the small ones could be in shock from the ride in the car. The bigger fish might just be stronger.

stingray4540

Hello, Hello, Helloooo!
Oct 18, 2005
San Jose, CA
www.geocities.com
take them back and get a refund. Try to get them home a little sooner next time, it could have just been the long trip. I had 3 rusties at one time and they hung out together, they are one of the mellowest mbuna out there even mellower than the yellow lab, so I don't think it was agression. I lost one of mine to ick and another because it was too timid to be with the mainganos, the one I have remaining is healthy and strong though.

rosita

Here
Jan 11, 2006
Cape Fear River Basin
Thanks, stingray, you never steer me wrong ( ;) )-- you and LoveMyKribs!! Such bad luck with everything, lately. Determined to do this mbuna right!! Continued research--I am very drawn to the rusties!! (as i recall, they were one of your original recommendations!)
After looking over them veeery carefully, I agree with you--there is no exterior sign of aggression on either one. I think the small size/youth of them combined with the extra hour or so (oh, why did I go back to school just to pick up some papers I didn't even need?)--so tomorrow, well, today, I'll take them back (those little half sized zip tops are great) and get some more when they come in. The guy in the fish section (who is extremely knowlegeable, as is owner--I love this place!!) recommended having around 6 or 7 along with the Yellow Labs they'll be getting in--@6 or 7 of them, too (end up with odd amount). I know these are relatively small fishes, but do you think that would be too many? I did ask if I could return males if there were too many--YES.
The large rusty is doing great so far, I acclimated him and got him in a quarentine tank (even tho the 55 is still empty) as I'm finishing up the seeded/Bio Spira cycle. I don't care what anything says, wanna make sure parameters are spot on.
thanks again!! saw another shot you posted of your tank--ummm, sand shots post--it just looks so good. Can't wait to see how the plants flourish--I'll add on later ($!!) later tater. . . .~rosita

stingray4540

Hello, Hello, Helloooo!
Oct 18, 2005
San Jose, CA
www.geocities.com
yeah, i think if you got 6 or 7, that way you'll have room for some to die if for some reason they don't make it, and once they all get acclimated and are doing well, you can always bring some back to get the right number you are looking for. I really like the rusties too and I think you will be very happy with them. sounds like your on the right track, good luck!

~*LuvMyKribs*~

AC Members
Nov 15, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
www.aquaticescapes.ca
I have a feeling it was likely the length of time they were in the bag. 3 hours, is that right? Thats too long for normal bagging methods you get at the pet store. Next time you know they are going to be in there for a while ask to have them all bagged seperately (in larger bags) and add oxygen to the bag. Make sure they dont fill up any more than 1/3 of the bag with water. We dont ever leave a fish more then 2 hours in a bag, and if we do, we take nessecary precautions.

Another good method (if the fish will have a long ride home) is to bring a bucket (uncovered) with you, and put the fish in that on the way home. This way oxygen can enter and exit the bucket and they can be in there a little longer.

:)
It also could possibly have been aggression, as that is known to happen. Whenever I buy africans I always ask to have the male bagged seperately just incase.

;)
-Diana

god61021

AC Members
Jun 7, 2006
new member with help

i actually have a breeding group of rustys (3) in with yellow labs, bluedolphins,red peacocks,and frontosas.the rustys are by far the most active but i have never seen any aggression with them,matter of fact one female has a mouthful now and she doesnt even bother anyone.so i really dont think the others were killed but i wasnt there so i could be wrong.lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store