Tang attacking new fish......

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mooch28

AC Members
Dec 24, 2004
Toronto (Brampton)
Hey guys, ive got a 110 gallon tank, with a 30 gallon sump. My stock included 1 powder blue tang, and two clown fish. Today i purchsed a Auriga Butterflyfish and a coral beauty angle. Both were emediately attacked as expected by the Tang.

So, i took the tang out at put him in the sump. My question is, when should i place the tang back into the main tank??? Im guessing a couple of days should be good, as im sure fish dont have memory that is all that great.. :p:

Also, im thinking of adding a Copperband Butterflyfish, im wondering if it will fight with the other butterly fish??

FloridaBoy

AC Members
Jan 10, 2005
Hmm, so you expected this... and now you want to put it back in and try it again. No matter what anyone tells you, the behavior of wild things is pretty much unpredictable... you could try separating the PBT behind a piece of glass or acrylic to see if it charges but even that will not warrant that it won't become aggro after 2 or 3 weeks in the display. Why? because many PBTs are aggressive by nature... it's simply protecting it's grazing zone. My advice is to skip the delicate Copperband completely, for the average hobbyist they rarely survive for more than a few weeks. Best wishes for your success.

Mooch28

AC Members
Dec 24, 2004
Toronto (Brampton)
Well, he was perfectly fine with the clowns when i put them in. However, he had only been in the tank for a few weeks then. Hes been in the tank for several months now and has established territory.

Plus, i made the mistake of not adding the tang last. Ive seen several tanks with tang in a community. However, the tangs were often added last to avoid and aggresions.

Anyways, when do you guys reccomend i try putting him in the main display tank again??

Cartman102

Respect my authoritaw!!
Mar 14, 2006
Branson, MO
Did you had the tang with the lights off? Try adding him at night and see if that works any at all. You may need more territorys for your fish?

Oceannites

Registered Member
Sep 6, 2012
Hi there. I am also having a problem with my powder blue attacking the new butterfly and new angelfish. Did it ever work out. If so how long did it take. I just introduced my powder blue to the new butterfly and angel fish. I have a 150 gallon tank

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Since the original post in this thread was from 2006, I doubt you're going to get a response :). My only suggestions would be to catch the angel and the butterfly and place them in acclimation boxes in the aquarium so that the tang will get used to them and realize they are not a threat to its territory or to rearrange the rockwork in the tank. Both have the potentil to induce stress. The other options are obvioulsy to wait it out and hope the tang stops or to remove either the tang or the new fish. I realize none of these are ideal options. Sorry it isn't working out currently. Powder Blues are definitely territorial fish (both in the wild and in captivity).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store