Live Rotifers Question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mayran

AC Members
Oct 3, 2005
Grand Rapids, MI
So I won a bottle of live rotifers in a drawing at my local aquarium club meeting and the guy sitting next to me told me to store them in the fridge. He's a sharp guy, so I don't doubt him, but it just seems a little odd to me to keep a bottle of live things in the fridge. I would think that it would be too cold, but what do I know??

Any opinions on how to store this? Also opinions on how much to feed and how often? I have a 37g with a small amt. of live rock, two damsels, a bicolor blenny, a small frag of Xenia, a couple of small shrooms, and some misc. hermits, snails, and two brittle stars. Thanks in advance.

Cartman102

Respect my authoritaw!!
Mar 14, 2006
Branson, MO
Well the reason why he had them in the frig was so that the rotifiers would be in a deep sleep. Have you ever bought live nightcrawlers at a bait shop? Well I'm not sure how many there are in the bottle but wouldn't you just add them in your tank?

mayran

AC Members
Oct 3, 2005
Grand Rapids, MI
The nightcrawlers reference makes sense to me, but are you saying to add the whole bottle at once? I guess doing that might help to establish a rotifer population in my tank. Anybody else? BTW the bottle is about 12-16oz.

Thanks for the response Cartman.

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
It's the same as with bottled phytoplankton. Keeping it in the fridge slows their metabolism to a crawl, and they will last quite some time. There should be an expiration date on there somewhere, because they won't last forever. With phyto, you know it's time to toss it when it smells really foul.

I am surprised there aren't feeding instructions on the bottle. Is there a company name that may direct you to a website? My suggestion is small feedings, rather than all at once, but haven't used rotifers.

Cartman102

Respect my authoritaw!!
Mar 14, 2006
Branson, MO
Yeah small feedings like what mogurnda said. I would ask your lfs where you got it from.

mayran

AC Members
Oct 3, 2005
Grand Rapids, MI
I won it in a drawing at my local aquarium society meeting. I think one of the members bred them. The rotifers are just in an empty water bottle, so there are no labels to read. Thanks for the suggestions.

Fishieness

AC Members
Jan 14, 2006
ct
yeah, many people breed rotfers for the feeding of their fish larva, but it can also be used for freeding corals and such. I would try to find out the density from the owner and ask how much he would recomend feeding. There is a way to do it with a refractometer, but i dont remember the equation.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store