Cycling didn't go as planned

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
As some might know, I recently got a 209G tank and last Tuesday, put salt in the water and added 45 pounds of live rock. I intended on getting around 90 pounds to cycle, but our distributer only sent 3 boxes and I bought one. Since I figured that 45 pounds of live rock would not cycle a 209 very well, I added 3 2 inch Silver Scats and a Gold Domino Damsel (2 inches). Well, I did water tests every day for the past week and ammonia never went past .25ppm. Today I tested and ammonia was zero but nitrite was around .5-1. So basically the cycle is starting to wrap up, but I am very uncertain that it would have not cycled completly. I intend on adding many current fish (upgrading from a 55), and would die if any of them died. If I add some of the current stock when nitrites are zero will there be much of an ammonia spike after a new fish is added? The current stock that will be going in after nitrite is zero is: my 3ft Zebra Moray, 3 inch Niger Trigger, 5 inch Volitans Lion. I will also be adding a 4 inch White tail Trigger and am contemplating the Zebra Moray we have had in our store for 5 months. I know it is a bit of a heavy load once the fish reach adulthood, but the wet dry is 4ft long itself, and will be adding a protien skimmer, purigen, and some carbon. So to sum it up, will there be an ammonia spike after I add a new fish? If there is a chance, I will get the White tail and Moray from my store, and try them before adding my munchkins!

Boogiechillin

It's ok, I confuse my students too.
Oct 26, 2000
Akron, OH, USA
www.trocadero.com
You can DEFINITELY expect an ammo spike after that small of a cycle if you add fish that massive. Rather than risking the moray and whitetail from the store, why not just drop in a half dozen cocktail shrimp and do a good cycle to begin with? I know it's hard to wait, but it's only a couple weeks. :) You're going to constantly deal with micro-spikes as you add additional fish if you try and build on top of a cycle this insubstantial.

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
Now will this harm the Silver Scats already in the tank? That is kinda what I was thinking but my boss at work said it wouldn't since the bacteria grow in exponential quantities. I did throw in some ghost shrimp several days ago, so that will have a little hamper on the cycle. How is the tank stock wise? Would I be able to add some other fish like a Thalassoma wrasse or something else? I don't like tangs much (except for Powder Blue's but will not risk one with triggers) but do like Teardrop Butterflies. Would I be able to add one without any problems (this is down the road a litte ways)?

Boogiechillin

It's ok, I confuse my students too.
Oct 26, 2000
Akron, OH, USA
www.trocadero.com
Hmm, missed that part about the scats and damsel already in the tank. I would recommend pulling them out if you go back to do a thorough fishless cycle - all four are small enough that you could keep them in a 30g tank for the time being, and I KNOW that you've got a few tanks sitting around your place. :D

You might be able to squeeze a smaller Thalassoma spp wrasse in the tank, like T. lucasanum. I would skip the bigger ones like T. lunare or hardwickii. At this point I would be more concerned over eventual territorial fighting rather than simple overstocking - between the LR, skimmer, and that huge w/d filter, you should be ok from a bioload perspective. I would suggest a pass on the butterfly as these are more passive fish - you've got kind of a rough crew in the making here, and a butterfly would take some abuse.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store