Easy Balance with Nitraban - WARNING!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
This thread is for all the people using or thinking of using Easy Balance. I ask you this question:

WHY?

Nitraban is not a substitute for regular WEEKLY water changes.

The KH (Carbonate Hardness) of the water in your tank is what keeps your pH stable. KH is consumed by natural processes in the tank. If you do not change out the water in your tank on a regular basis the KH will be used up. When the KH is used up, the pH begins to fall. If the KH gets to 0, all of your bacteria will die. This is also known as a "pH crash". If your bacteria die, your tank will start to recycle.

Secondly, it's not only nitrates that must be removed from your tank. There are DOC, Dissolved Organic Compounds, that we cannot measure for, that are also produced by natural processes. Then the TDS, Total Dissolved Solids. The longer the water sits, the "thicker" it gets and harder it is for the fish to live in it. The only way to remove any of those is via water changes.

Now, that you have a very very basic understanding of the above, let me tell you what Easy Balance will do and why it is not a good idea:

Using Easy Balance will increase your KH and pH. Since your pH will not drop and your KH will not be consumed, your tank will remain "stable" in that regard. If you do no water changes, like Easy Balance says you do not have to do, the water will become heavy with DOCs. Think of your fish as swimming in nitrifying jello.

This state is known as OTS, or Old Tank Syndrom. It is what happens when a FW tank does not get regular water changes. Once you have OTS, any new fish you try to add to the tank will die almost immediately. Eventually, your older fish will die. The bottom dwellers will go first, followed by your more sensitive fish and then the rest.

Here are some wonderful articles on the importants of water changes and OTS:

http://www.thepufferforum.com/articles/water/waterchange.html
http://www.thepufferforum.com/articles/water/waterchangemath.html
http://www.thepufferforum.com/articles/small/ots.html
http://www.thepufferforum.com/articles/water/otswater.html

Although I'm sure there is some use somewhere for this product, frankly if you can't miss one water change without your nitrates going through the roof, then you have some SERIOUS overstocking problems going on with your tank. THAT needs to be addressed, not masked with chemicals.

My advice is to run from Easy Balance. Screaming, if need be. They should change the name to "Easy OTS". It's pure snake oil.

Roan

Wishful

AC Members
Jun 4, 2006
Mesa, AZ
I thoroughly agree that regular water changes are key to good health, but I do wonder if this product (or one similar to it) has a potential use as an emergency short term fix in the hobby. There are times when even the best fishkeeper gets busy or distracted and can have a tank get into trouble. Murphy's law dictates that at least some of the time it'll be detected when it's impossible to make the time to get in an immediate waterchange.

My LFS suggested having it on hand for just such emergencies--essentially to buy a little xtra time until you can fix the problem properly.

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
Wishful said:
I thoroughly agree that regular water changes are key to good health, but I do wonder if this product (or one similar to it) has a potential use as an emergency short term fix in the hobby. There are times when even the best fishkeeper gets busy or distracted and can have a tank get into trouble. Murphy's law dictates that at least some of the time it'll be detected when it's impossible to make the time to get in an immediate waterchange.

My LFS suggested having it on hand for just such emergencies--essentially to buy a little xtra time until you can fix the problem properly.
Wishful,

I agree with this as it pertains to products such as Ammolock and its ilk, however, I cannot, in the foggiest way, shape or form, see how having Easy Balance can help in *any* emergency situation.

The ONLY time I can see Easy Balance as being of any help is if you have high nitrates out of the tap, no plants, and do regular water changes anyhow.

Anyone else see an honest use for this stuff?

Roan

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
Penfan66 said:
Excellent points Roan. You could also add Waste Control, Cycle, and water clarifiers to the list as well.
I smell a Top Ten+ List of Snake Oil Products, but that's something I'd want on AquaFacts. I'm going to start a thread there.

Roan

Needeles

AC Members
Jun 5, 2006
Wisconsin
I have used this and will stop as of now. I just was wondering if this might be why my ph level is so high and I can't seem to get it down. My water hardness, Alkalinity & ph all seem to be very high but coming out of the tap the only thing that is high is the water hardness. I do water changes weekly of about 25-50% at the moment. If I say wait 2-3 weeks before changing the water will my ph in fact start to drop as the KH level starts to go down. My question then would be will it jump right back up when I do the water change after that 2-3 week period. Below is what my water levels are at the moment.

Nitrate - 0-20ppm mg/l
Nitrite - 0 -.5 ppm mg/l
Total Hardness - 300 ppm GH
Total Alkalinity - 300 ppm KH
pH - 7.8 -8.4
Ammonia - 0ppm mg/l

Thanks

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Help us out...draw some tap water into a shallow dish, let it sit over night and post a set of readings of that tap water. The closer your tank water is to the replacement water, the better.

Needeles

AC Members
Jun 5, 2006
Wisconsin
Hello again. I went ahead and tested some water after it sat for 24 hours and found that the tap is my problem. My tap levels are listed below...

Nitrate - 0ppm
Nitrite - 0ppm
Hardness - 300ppm
Alkalinity - 300ppm
pH- 8.4
Ammonia - 0

Is there anything I can do to get these levels down. Most of my fish do prefer to have the lower levels. Thanks again.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I personaly do not see an issue, steadily do water changes of 20% every other day for a week to get your tank off the nitra ban. However, I believe you have live plants (?) and I am not well enough informed about them and their care.

Needeles

AC Members
Jun 5, 2006
Wisconsin
Thanks for the reply. I currently have been doing water changes of 25-50% every week. Should I just start doing them every other week. I have just added 2 Penguin 660R's to my system and still have the HOB filter. I am trying to figure out if I will be keeping the HOB. Thanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store