Gourami lovers?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

supgourami

Gourami Expert
Jun 10, 2006
CT, USA
www.facebook.com
Well, Me, I love gouramis. I have so many, I don't think I have enough fingers.

3 Three spot gouramis- 2 Blue- Momma and Idget
1 Opaline- Poppa

2 Pearl Gouramis- Petey and Rex

4 Dwarf Gouramis- 2 Neon- Butch and Matilda
2 Red Flame- Fernando and Flo

2 Snakeskin gouramis- Fish Stick and Harriet

If anyone has any gouramis, post it. Tell me their names if they got em, tell me their species. I'm interested in knowing anything I can about gouramis. and different species.

So yea, don't be shy.

dorkfish

AC Members
Jul 25, 2005
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
I have a female three spot gourami, had a pair of powder blues and a male drawf, but the three spot drastically shortened thier lifespans :( .Also lots of bettas, I not only love gourami, but the whole family(anibantids).

I think I'm gonna start building a beter gourami collection after I move.

rosita

Here
Jan 11, 2006
Cape Fear River Basin
I have had 3 powder blue dwarf males for over 6 months--not very long. Harry and Larry came from one LFS, Spike another (his dorsal fin is distorted--the front 1/3 spikes forward, the rest to the back). In a 10 all together, same time, I created areas for them so there would be no aggression. It worked, and the most they did was play "tailchase" with out physical attacks.
6 weeks ago Harry swelled up HUGE, with no pineconing, I researched and researched, asked and posted pix on some sites, to no avail. Used Maracyn 2, then prazi, along with even more water changes (I keep my tanks very clean, quite religious about it--it IS, after all, the foundation to their health).
Put him in a makeshift hospital tank, he stayed the same, so I decided to euthanize him. Internal organs must have swelled way beyond return, and he had no quality of life--although throughout the entire time, he swam, ate, acted normal in every way, as though he didn't look like he'd swallowed a giant grape. Didn't have the courage to do an autopsy. My little buddy.

Continued to treat the other 2 with prazi; quarantined Spike as he was swelling; I just euthanized him about 45 minutes ago. Larry had been doing well, still having healthy poops, etc., but last nite doing a wc, I notices some thin white thready stuff (he's in the hospital tank, 5g, now). Also a bit of swelling--I'm afraid I'm going to lose him, too. This is sad. I don't know how the parasites, if that's what it was, got in their tank--I had added some anacharis, and two mystery snails from PetSmart; my research said that snails don't carry parasites etc., but I'm not sure what research that is based upon.
So, I absolutely love gouramis; I had bettas for years, they are awesome, so I thought I'd try a relative. Don't know if I'll try them again; or maybe it's the dwarf variety that's more susceptible to disease. :huh:

god61021

AC Members
Jun 7, 2006
i have five blue gouramis that i actually bought from wal-mart over a year ago.(feel free to send hate mail). if im sexing them right i have one male and four females with the biggest one being named "grandma".ive had others like dwarf ,honey, and pearl. but the blues were the only ones i liked enough to keep.the honey gourami actually had a bitter taste......ok im just being mean i gave them to my ex-girlfriend but the blues stay they were actually the first fish ive ever bought ive spent countless hours watching their "tentacles" they are in my grow out tank its fun to add new fish and watch them surround them and "feel" them.

misopeenut

AC Members
Nov 3, 2005
i have a dwarf honey gourami. i just love how they are so curious and touch every new thing in the tank with those antenna-like fins(?)

budrecki

Trust me, it's for your own good.
Dec 17, 2005
Orlando,FL
1 sunset
1 blue (aka 3 spot)
1 gold
1 opaline
1 powder blue

still looking for a chocolate, pearl, red, moonlight, and honey

supgourami

Gourami Expert
Jun 10, 2006
CT, USA
www.facebook.com
Blue, gold and opaline gouramis are all three spot gouramis.

In other words, they are all the same species, just different color variations.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store