Damsels

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kay-bee

AC Members
Sep 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
My wife is entertaining the idea of starting up a fish only marine tank . Although there are a lot more exotic marine fish, she has taken a strong liking to damsels (notably the blue and the dominos).

If stocked with just damsels, how many would work successfully in a 36"L x 12"W x 24"H tank? The LFS suggested 20+. Would it be better to go with a single damsel species or would several work together? Is there a species that is recommended over any of the others? Would an all-damsel tank be successful? Or is the tank too small? Would it be better to steer away from an all damsel tank?

I understand they have aggressive temperments, but just how aggressive? (I'm familiar with african cichlid aggression, are damsels like m. auratus or less/more aggressive?).

Last edited:

dorkfish

AC Members
Jul 25, 2005
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
No more than 8 or 9 damsels, and that would be pushing it. I personally like the idea of an all damsel tank, and may set one up eventually, although it is almost surely gonna be a reef a few months later(same thing hapened to my current tank).

In this tank you will want to be sure to provide lots of rockwork(either live or artificial) for them to establish there teritorys.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store