Puffy bit by another puffer

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lokel

AC Members
May 20, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Hi
I have 3 figure 8 puffs in a 21 gallon tank. 2 of them are big and the other 1 is little. Last night when i fed them there snails, one of the big puffers bit the lil 1 on her face. Now she has 2 teeth marks on the side of her face near her beak.
We put her in a seperate tank, but im not sure what kind of medicine i should use to heal her. She can eat her blood worms ok, but has a lil trouble with a snail.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Lokel

Ps. I put this thread in freshwater by accident and was informed to put it here.

wolf22t

AC Members
Jun 14, 2006
I am no puffer expert but i do have a few general tips when it come to an injured fish.

Firstly keep a close eye on the side of her face and the surrounding tissue for any signs of secondary infection

Keep her tank very CLEAN

No stress for her

If any infection starts try a site like this puffer health and disease

Hope this helps

Last edited:

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
wolf22t said:
I am no puffer expert but i do have a few general tips when it come to an injured fish.

Firstly keep a close eye on the side of her face and the surrounding tissue for any signs of secondary infection

Keep her tank very CLEAN

No stress for her

If any infection starts try a site like this puffer health and disease

Hope this helps
also, buy some fish antibiotic.(avalible from a vet or a well-equiped fish store.)

lokel

AC Members
May 20, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the tips.

Im goin out tomorrow to get some Furaloid for her, to make sure she doesnt get any infection. So far there doesnt appear to be an infection. Unfortuatly she seems very stressed and she didnt want to eat lastnight. She's in her own 10-13 gal tank, but i think she is lonely. I dont want to put one of the other puffers in ( not the one that bit her) cause im affraid she might sense that Puffy is hurt and not be very nice.

I put some aqaurium salt in to try and help her stress, it only seemed to help for a day.

Hopefully these antibiotics im gettin tomorrow will help her heal.

Ill keep u up dated.

Lokel

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
lokel said:
Thanks for the tips.

Im goin out tomorrow to get some Furaloid for her, to make sure she doesnt get any infection. So far there doesnt appear to be an infection. Unfortuatly she seems very stressed and she didnt want to eat lastnight. She's in her own 10-13 gal tank, but i think she is lonely. I dont want to put one of the other puffers in ( not the one that bit her) cause im affraid she might sense that Puffy is hurt and not be very nice.

I put some aqaurium salt in to try and help her stress, it only seemed to help for a day.

Hopefully these antibiotics im gettin tomorrow will help her heal.

Ill keep u up dated.

Lokel
hope she gets better!

lokel

AC Members
May 20, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Please Help.. Puffer wont eat

:confused: Well Puffy's colour has got better and she doesnt swim away from us anymore. The melafix has worked great on her wounds externally, but i cant get her to eat anything. Ive tried blod worm, snails and even a bug from my backyard/garden area.

Is there anything i can do for her to either get her to eat or some how get nurishment into her, so she wont die of starvation.

Please any help would be awsome..

Lokel

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
You may have continuing problems with aggression in a tank that small. Recommended minimum is 15gal per fish. Generally speaking, puffers are kept alone for exactly this reason, they tend to beat each other up. Figure 8s I guess are better, but it depends on the individual.

Also, fish can go a long time without eating. I had a sick discus, he didn't eat for 2 full weeks while I was treating him. As soon as he got back to normal and healthy, he started eating again. I would keep a close eye on it, and offer a little bit of food every day, but if it doesn't get eaten, don't leave it in there, take it out to keep the water clean. Also, check out these articles for some further info on your fish.

http://www.thepufferforum.com/articles/puffer/f8puffer.html
http://www.pufferlist.com/puffer/brackpuff.php?puffid=13

lokel

AC Members
May 20, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Hey,

Well i got Puffy some activant(vitamins) and some Rosey's to see if her food moves then she'll eat.

Sploke: Thanks for the links. Puffy isnt with the other puffers anymore, she is in her own 13 gl tank, which is not her new pernament home. She just has some lil roseys in there to eat.

THanks for your help, Ill keep u updated.

Lokel

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store