Octopus

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

04cobratorchred

AC Members
Mar 8, 2005
A friend of mine is setting up a big saltwater tank and he really wants an octopus in it, but he doesn’t know where to find one. So I was wondering if anyone knew where he could buy one let me know. Thanks a lot for any help.

Mark

Fishieness

AC Members
Jan 14, 2006
ct
there are numerous online stores where he can get one like liveaquaria.com
but you said it was going in a large tank? is this going to be a large octopus? or is he expecting to put other fish in there? Because if so, they arent going to last that long before they become dinner. octopi should have a species only tank, and if you dont give them that, they will eat everything in there until it is. lol

Toirtis

Keeper of strange fishes
1. Octopus, save the coldwater pacific giants, have a very short lifespan (under 12 months).

2. An octopus can escape through any hole through which its beak can fit...which means that your friend will want to seal the top of his aquarium so that no holes even as small as the diameter of a pencil lead, exist.

3. Avoid the temptation to get a blue-ringed octopus, which alsthough small and very pretty (and cheap and plentiful), are fatally neurotoxic and highly aggressive...these are a species only for professional aquarium institutions.

4. An octopus will take no time to hunt kill and eat every fish and invert in your friend's tank...even hermits and clams, so it must be kept very much alone.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store