How would a batfish do with these fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

goldfish freak

AC Members
Oct 16, 2001
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I was wondering if I could keep this batfish: Platax teira with Mono Sebae and a green spotted puffer? This would be in 6 foot long 215 gallon tank. Would this work? Thanks.

FishBait

triggerhappy
Nov 27, 2002
Wilmington, NC
Visit site
I would think compatibility would be fine...although I've seen several monos get aggressive with each other and I don't know how an aggressive mono would treat a bat. The only thing I'd be worried about is the height of your tank. If you manage to keep this beauty to maturity (I've been told their survival rate is not so good), I don't know that your tank will be tall enough for it.

Water World

AC Members
Jul 30, 2001
Galrand, TX
Hi GoldFish: There are several types of "batfish". Platax orbicularis. This is more of a round type fish. Platax teira is a tall fish, Taller than it is long. The last is a Platax pinnatus. This is the most famous since it's colors are a striking Black and orange. The orbicularis and teira can get quite large, but it looks like your tank should handle it. My teira was 12" tall but only 5" from nose to tail. They are first inline for feeding but can lost out to smaller faster fish. Also they have some trouble with other fish nipping at their fins. Mine was a great community fish and did quite well. The pinnatus can be more delicate that the others I would only recommend them to experienced fish keepers. HTH's

Boogiechillin

It's ok, I confuse my students too.
Oct 26, 2000
Akron, OH, USA
www.trocadero.com
I wouldn't mix a puffer with any batfish - that's just too tempting of a target for the puffer. Monos might work, but batfish do best in low-key environments with other passive, slower fish.

goldfish freak

AC Members
Oct 16, 2001
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Boogiechillin when I was considering putting a Batfish with my other fish the puffer was the one I was most concerned about. Although I find my green spotted puffer to be quite passive. He does not bother the monos at all, he simply ignores them, and he is already over a year old, so not a juvenile anymore. The monos ignore the puffer as well, although they do nip at each other. Do you think that they might harass a batfish?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store