Cured LR vs. NON Cured LR

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Saltyone

GOT Fish !!!
Feb 19, 2003
Chicago
Visit site
Well I know what the diffrence of cured and not cured LR is but how does it effect the tank??i have like 10 Lbs of NON Cured LR
has better color to it Does curted LR eventually turn purple and blue and all that

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
It depends on how it was cured, and where the live rock came from. I've seen LR-both cured and uncured--that is covered with coralline. Eventaully, if your tank is conducive to algae, it will grow and cover all the rock.

With uncured liverock, the big things are: a) hitch hikers--various crabs, shrimps, (including mantis shrimp), as well as die-off of critters (sponges, algaes, small corals) can cause an ammonia spike. Cured live rock shouldn't cause this mini-cycle, and your odds of picking up a nasty hitch hiker is reduced, but not gauranteed.

VoodooChild

Kissin' the Sky
Dec 17, 2001
MN
Visit site
I would just like to throw this in in defense of uncured, yes you don't have to worry about mantids and other hitchhikers, but you might not get as much variety of assorted organisms either. Sorry Orion:D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store