walmart puffer--I want some!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fballguy

yum
Feb 27, 2006
Everett, WA
www.freshwaterfanatics.com
I saw walmart has puffers which I believe are green spotted puffers. They were not marked but I'm almost positive that's what they are. I really would like to have 1 or 2 but I know basically nothing about them. What size tank do they need? Water conditions (fresh, brackish)? And if they require salt how do I go about that I have never had anything but freshwater before. Also, if they are brackish or marine, what could I use to keep the algae down, and what would be best for cycling the tank? Thanks!

born2lovefish

AC Members
Feb 20, 2006
Avon, In (suburb of Indianapolis)
First, do not buy fish from walmart. I know you probably will anyways, but later you will understand why I said not to. They usually always have disease because they are not properly cared for. As far as getting puffers, I believe they like some salt in the water. Google it and you should find plenty of info on them. Sorry I could not be of any more help.

nccoastal

eating fish for supper
May 28, 2006
Eastern NC
know what you are getting into the gsp will need 30 gallons. they regularly need snails or crabs to keep there teeth down. these puffers start there life in fresh water and then need to be brought over to brackish and then to salt. i dont know the timeline but give me a day or two i can get it to you. Although some ppl will still dispute them needing high brackish or full salt and end of there trip. All i know is the research i did, starts there life in fresh water and ends it in the ocean. I will tell you i have had much trouble but finally i belive i convinced the local walmart to not order them, but they did any ways. I will tell you to not do it. I never bought any of them from walmart but i own 4 right now and had at least 7 more come thru my house. what happens is these ppl research after they buy one then they try to take it back but Walmart does not do returns. A freind of mine works the pet department so he gets them to give them to him then he brings them to me. Btw if you really are set on one just pm i will send one your way you just pay the shipping. I will send a few snails to. If you want 2 let me know. you will have to give me more time to get the last one i am giving away to good health. he was in bad bad bad shape when i received him.
If you decide i will answer your other questions.

fishbreeder017

AC Members
Jun 17, 2006
In a box
Yeah, I agree do not buy fish at walmart. Buy them at a local pet store or even petsmart. I personally don't like petco! All of the fish I have gotten their have either died or came home with a wierd disease. I have had a molly from petsmart for 3 years. I think petsmart has really good fish!

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org

nccoastal

eating fish for supper
May 28, 2006
Eastern NC
ty roan was to tired last night to check the info for him.
think i convinced him to think about it first anyways.

TankManATL

Pimp And Player.....You Can Be 1 2
Apr 11, 2006
Spring Hood,Fl
u know all my good fish that i got were purchACED at my local walmart..this months fish is a mono my walmart has actually fish smart people working there

pinkstarchicken

Registered Member
Jun 19, 2006
petsmart rocks!

fishbreeder017 said:
Yeah, I agree do not buy fish at walmart. Buy them at a local pet store or even petsmart. I personally don't like petco! All of the fish I have gotten their have either died or came home with a wierd disease. I have had a molly from petsmart for 3 years. I think petsmart has really good fish!
yeah! .....but our local petco has a good selection of products unlike our local petsmart.. the petsmart has WAY better fish, i just bought 4 tiger barbs, 1 african dwarf frog and 2 fiddler crabs today.. but i need help, i found out that the fiddler crabs need brackish water and i dont know how to make it. should i mix it half saltwater and half fresh?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store