Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Usergroup
    Members
    Last Activity
    11-09-2010 9:00 AM
    Hello all. It appears that there is some confusion as to what species of puffer Wal-Mart carries and as to what type of water (fresh or brackish) the “green spotted puffer” needs. There are three types that are very similar. Tetraodon Schoutedeni, Tetraodon fluviatilis, and Tetraodon nigroviridis. The problem is that Wal-Mart does not identify their fish by the definitive Latin name. But they can be discerned by the shape and some tell tale spines on the belly of the fish. The T. Schoutedeni (aka: spotted Congo Puffer, has a “club-like” shape to its body. In addition, it is the only one with two backward pointing spines on its belly. Its not a green as the other two and has kind of brownish background to its spots. The T. fluviatilis (green Puffer) has a more torpedo shape to its body, longer sloping head and back region. Kind of elongated. The T. nigroviridis (spotted green puffer) this is the most common one to be assumed as the fish in Wal-Mart , is pretty much spherical, like a globe or balloon. And it tends to have smaller dots. In that the t. Schoutedeni is purely a freshwater fish from the Congo River, that forms the Malebo pool (formerly Stanley Pool) near its terminus. Give it no more salt than any other freshwater fish, or it will die. I have killed my share (one) due to this confusion. Good luck to you all…….

Ambassador to Cephalopods Octavarium's Avatar
    Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    04-09-2010 3:21 PM
    Amazing fish if you decide to get him... eat from your hand, come to tank to greet you, have great personalities.
    Obey the salinity rules, keep all levels in check, and feed him hardshelled foods at least a couple of times a week and you;ll be ok.
    55 g-Crystal Red Shrimp, Amano Shrimp, Blue Pearl Shrimp, Dwarf Corydoras

me_wee_todded
    Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    12-17-2010 12:35 AM
    hmm my walmart has some GSPs too
    I am the King of crunk

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    03-04-2008 11:16 AM
    mine has them too As well as PEACOCK EELS!!!!!!!!! crazy never be the day that wally world would sell puffers and eels. whats next SW?
    2.5G FW Betta
    G FW Planted
    40G B SW FOWLR
    240G SW REEF

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    01-04-2013 10:48 PM
    I bought my puffers from Wal-Mart and they are just fine. Lokk at it as saving some poor fish.

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Real Name
    Jeni
    Last Activity
    11-20-2012 3:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nava2468 View Post
    Hello all. It appears that there is some confusion as to what species of puffer Wal-Mart carries and as to what type of water (fresh or brackish) the “green spotted puffer” needs. There are three types that are very similar. Tetraodon Schoutedeni, Tetraodon fluviatilis, and Tetraodon nigroviridis. The problem is that Wal-Mart does not identify their fish by the definitive Latin name. But they can be discerned by the shape and some tell tale spines on the belly of the fish. The T. Schoutedeni (aka: spotted Congo Puffer, has a “club-like” shape to its body. In addition, it is the only one with two backward pointing spines on its belly. Its not a green as the other two and has kind of brownish background to its spots. The T. fluviatilis (green Puffer) has a more torpedo shape to its body, longer sloping head and back region. Kind of elongated. The T. nigroviridis (spotted green puffer) this is the most common one to be assumed as the fish in Wal-Mart , is pretty much spherical, like a globe or balloon. And it tends to have smaller dots. In that the t. Schoutedeni is purely a freshwater fish from the Congo River, that forms the Malebo pool (formerly Stanley Pool) near its terminus. Give it no more salt than any other freshwater fish, or it will die. I have killed my share (one) due to this confusion. Good luck to you all…….
    The T schoutedeni has not been available in the US aquarium trade for over 20 years, so you can be sure they aren't that species. The T fluviatilis (Ceylon puffer), looks more like the T biocellatus (Figure 8) than the T nigriviridis (GSP). It only has spotts on it's belly. Very distinguishable. If you're getting this info from Puffernet, that site has a lot of misinformation (especially on ID) & hasn'e been updated in over 10 years.

T fluviatilis:
    Last edited by Pufferpunk; 05-18-2007 at 10:22 AM.
    You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...
    "The solution to pollution is dilution!"
    The Puffer Forum

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    11-26-2012 7:38 PM
    Blog Entries
    My walmart sells glass cats, golfball goldfish, and dragon gobys (brackish) and labels them all as freshwater tropicals... all but the goldie usually die.

They also sell Mondo Grass Plant as an aquatic plant. I should give them a flower and tell them its a new species of aquatic plant.
    In use: 75g 29g 25g 18g 15g 15g 15g 15g 15g 15g 15g 10g 10g 10g 10g 5g
    Empty: 35g 25g 15g 15g 5g

I'm running out of tanks

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    08-27-2007 1:10 AM

Talking BUY THEM to SAVE THEM

I had bought my GSP from walmart. I knew nothing about them til it was too late, I fell in love with him. But he fin nipped all my other fish. Like i said i knew nothing. Believe me i was on the internet researching them babies when i seen what was going on. HOLY COW, i learned alot and still learning alot. He is now 9 months old since i have had him or her dunno. I put him in my community tank with my other fish. That was a mistake. So he has a 29 gal all to himself and he has lived in freshwater since i got him and seems to do just fine. He eats blood worms, krill, snails, ghost shrimp, and he dont like squid. This fish is like a person child to me he has the coolest personality and the cutest face in the world. The research on these things are impecable lots and lots of reading but it is worth every minute. He was in a 10 gal for a few months til we moved and got the bigger tank now that we are settled. He is lovin it. Swims all over like u can see the smile on his face. Now that i know all about walmart fish and how they treat them i BUY THEM TO SAVE THEM.

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Real Name
    Jeni
    Last Activity
    11-20-2012 3:53 PM
    You can't save all of them though & as long as we keep "rescuing" them from poor conditions at places like Walmart, they will continue to buy more.

Your puffer belongs in brackish water. If you really love that lil fella, you'll want him to love a long, healthy life. BW fish kept in FW have lowered immune systems, stunted growth & shorter lifespans.

http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/...otted-puffers/
    You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...
    "The solution to pollution is dilution!"
    The Puffer Forum

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    03-04-2008 11:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fishlover420 View Post
    I had bought my GSP from walmart. I knew nothing about them til it was too late, I fell in love with him. But he fin nipped all my other fish. Like i said i knew nothing. Believe me i was on the internet researching them babies when i seen what was going on. HOLY COW, i learned alot and still learning alot. He is now 9 months old since i have had him or her dunno. I put him in my community tank with my other fish. That was a mistake. So he has a 29 gal all to himself and he has lived in freshwater since i got him and seems to do just fine. He eats blood worms, krill, snails, ghost shrimp, and he dont like squid. This fish is like a person child to me he has the coolest personality and the cutest face in the world. The research on these things are impecable lots and lots of reading but it is worth every minute. He was in a 10 gal for a few months til we moved and got the bigger tank now that we are settled. He is lovin it. Swims all over like u can see the smile on his face. Now that i know all about walmart fish and how they treat them i BUY THEM TO SAVE THEM.
    my g/f and I have bought many of wallmart female bettas to rescue they currently reside in my 29G tank. I would say its a catch 22 you want to save the fish so you buy them thus giving wally world more money so they can order more and thus the cycle begin again.
    2.5G FW Betta
    G FW Planted
    40G B SW FOWLR
    240G SW REEF

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information