Is inbreeding fish ok?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Web Gazelle

Guardian Of The Cave
Dec 1, 2004
Planet Earth
Several birth deffects can happen when breeding from the same. I wouldn't suggest it.

khombre

Jul 18, 2005
Quezon City, Philippines
i second that, in-breeding can cause some health issues for the resulting fry

i have a swordtail pond where unfortunately some degree of in-breeding does occur, some of the resulting fry grow up with deformities and others seem to have a weaker immune system as they are more prone to infections...

have a nice day :p:

Dunluce2

AC Members
Sep 12, 2005
Wagga Wagga, Australia
the only class of animals that has no worries when it comes to inbreeding are reptiles. Yes you may not have strong genes and the odd deformity and weak immune system but they will normally die and only the strong survive. They're not mutants, just different. Its called evolution. You might just breed a superfish that will wipe out all humankind. Or some freakish hideous novelty creature that someone will pay crp lds for. Where did the sicko goldfish with the bubbles below their eyes come from. Or the lionhead goldfish with the humungeous melon heads. Or a balloon molly. I saw one today at the LFS and it looked like it had swallowed a rather large marble. A ball with fins. And i nearly bought some. The world would be indeed boring if nothing ever changed, have a look at some origonal wild specimens of the fish we keep. Some you wouldnt use for bait. Yet their distant cousins are sought after for their colours. Seen a wild guppy? not that colourful. cause they get eaten if their seen. so who did we keep and breed. the freaky mutants

fishbreeder017

AC Members
Jun 17, 2006
In a box
Sometimes people inbreed the father to the daughter on purpose to get a certain gene. I haven't inbed my guppies yet but I might. Only inbreed if you've been breeding for a long time and know a thing or two about genetics. :hang:

Toirtis

Keeper of strange fishes
Dunluce2 said:
the only class of animals that has no worries when it comes to inbreeding are reptiles.
Not true...all animals suffer from inbreeding...reptiles included....they just tend to be more slow to show the effects of inbreeding.

Toirtis

Keeper of strange fishes
Z Man said:
Yes, inbreeding is done all the time in the hobby to acquire particular traits. Often father to daughter and mother to son.
It is done all the time, but it is quite detrimental to the fish....serious breeders avoid it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store