seachem cichlid salt Q's

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

eurostar

AC Members
Jun 5, 2006
my LFS told me to add this south american cichlid salt to my tank for my german blue rams, my concorn is how flexible is it if i add a little bit too much, i also have chery barbs so i dont want it to harm them ither. doing water changes is hard to get the exact amount when it comes to drops, 5 ml does a 20 gallon tank.

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
I dont know of any salts for SA cichlids, only for africans. You should have soft acidic water for rams, and I believe salt would make it harder. What are the contents? If its just pure salt you got scammed :(

C

Crazy_Pete

eurostar said:
my LFS told me to add this south american cichlid salt to my tank for my german blue rams, my concorn is how flexible is it if i add a little bit too much, i also have chery barbs so i dont want it to harm them ither. doing water changes is hard to get the exact amount when it comes to drops, 5 ml does a 20 gallon tank.
I have bred blue rams and i have only gotten them to breed in the softest, cleanest, RO water in a tank with lots of live plants. Rams are very sensitive to salts and other impurities and will die at salt and contaminant levels that fail to kill even sensitive invertebrates. It is possible that person who told you that you should add salt to your rams tank was simply ignorant and not actually trying to cheat you, however.

I am interested to know who makes the "South American Cichlid Salt"? Generally south american cichlids come from soft acidic water, unlike central american cichlids which are found in hard water that has percolated through limestone.

As a side note my Rams always spawned on the flat top of a sponge filter, and i have read many accounts of others saying that Rams become obsessed with spawning on old sponge filters. I am guessing the parents are stimulated by the copious microfauna present as a source of food for the fry.

Best wishes and good luck

wobble

AC Members
May 3, 2005
According to the manufacturer it adds calcium, sodium, potassium, and includes trace components such as iron, aluminum, and iodine. Not sure if this is necessary though. I never added anything to the water when I kept SA cichlids, and they did great.

eurostar

AC Members
Jun 5, 2006
i dont know why its called salt but it softens the water because my ph is down now that i added it, the bottle says it helps replicate their natural enviorment. they seem to be doing fine but i cant tell which ones are male and which are female

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store