Peppered cory with a hole in its side

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mikecymru

AC Members
Jan 4, 2006
Wales
Can any one help?
I have a small peppered cory with a hole in its side, I guess its an ulcer?
I had a problem with low pH but now thats sorted by adding some plants to deal with the high nitrates.
But its left me with a sick fish, I do not have a hospital tank and I am frightened about adding meds and the effect on the other fish.

which are:-
2 bengal loaches
4 corys
3 zebra danios
2 black widow tetras
4 harlequins

please help I dont want to let him just die. :sad:

Last edited:

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
What are your water parameters: ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, pH? Please post those. What is your water change routine: how much and how often?

pH does not cause holes in fishes' sides, nor do nitrates cause high pH. Consistantly high nitrates can be a sign of really bad water quality which *can* cause a hole in your fish.

We really need to know your water parameters and your change routine before we can advise further. Do not add any meds to the tank until you can post those. You could make matters worse.

Roan

mikecymru

AC Members
Jan 4, 2006
Wales
Done a water test now

I know the problem now:

Ammonia 0.6
Ph 5.0
Nitrates 0.3
Nitrates 50

I never used to suffer with poor water. but I have a high bio load and a 2 months ago I got fed up with all the snails in my tank broke it down and took out all the plants( what a mistake to maker) I have since replaced the plants but I guess the water hasn't recovered?

I do 25% water changes once a week and hoover the gravel once a month. Fish are fed once a day bottom food and flake.

I have done a water change 25%

What next?

Last edited:

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
I just noticed the title you gave your post.

Your pH was 5???

If your pH gets to 5, ALL your bacteria will die off and your fish will follow.

How did your pH drop so low? What is the KH of your water? We really need to know the KH to find out why the pH dropped like that -- assuming you are doing water changes as you say.

What kinds of fish do you have in there and how many of each?

Your tank is cycling again and your ammonia and nitrites too high. They are killing your fish.

You are going to have to do large water changes and get those ammonia and nitrite readings down belown .25 or you are going to lose fish. Do a 50% as soon as you can and another 50% 12 hours after that.

If you have a large bioload, you should plan on doing at *least* 50% every week and twice or more a week if need be.

Roan

Last edited:

mikecymru

AC Members
Jan 4, 2006
Wales
Roan,

I do not have a hardness test in my kit.
My fish are listed above.
I have done 2 water changes and well see how it goes.
I guess me nitrates soared when I removed my plants. hence the drop in PH?
Plants now in so the nitrates should start to come down when the tank cycles again

dorkfish

AC Members
Jul 25, 2005
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
How big is the tank? Yes, your water has very bed problems, even the nitrate is aproaching harmfull levels(IMO, 20 is about as high as it should ever be, regardless of the tank), unless your tap water has nitrate in it (do a test and find out please).

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
Would you please take a cup of your tap water, let it sit out overnight and test the pH in the morning? Post the results? Really need to see what the pH is out of the tap.

Have you been adding any pH modifying chemicals?

Roan

mikecymru

AC Members
Jan 4, 2006
Wales
I have not added any ph modifying chems...and I will check my ph from my tap....
Let you know tomorrow

Thanks for the advice

mikecymru

AC Members
Jan 4, 2006
Wales
Roan,

I checked my tap water after an overnight stand it is 7-7.5ph
However despite a 50-60% water change last night my PH in my tank reads 5-5.5 today :(

What now another water change?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store