South / Central American tank suggestions?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

hughitt1

Registered Hamster Rancher
Jun 18, 2006
Maryland
en.wikipedia.org
Heya,

I was planning on setting up a 36-gal (30'' x 15.5 x 15) tank with a South / Central american theme (originally i was hoping to go with a S. American Biotope, but fell in love with Central american cichlids, and south american cats).
It's not a very large tank, so i'm going to try and not overstock..but here is what i had in mind:

1 pair firemouth cichlids
5-6 panda cories
a school of tetras or hatchets maybe?

I will decorate the tank with driftwood, rocks, and native plants.. also will provide a large enough cave for the pair of cichlids.

Just wanted to get people's opinions on what fish are good for a South or Central American community tank, or if anyone had any better or alternative ideas to the stock above?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)
Thanks,
Keith

ragc

AC Members
Dec 4, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Keith:

I have a "CA" tank (except it has Amazon Sword plants from SA). I keep a breeding pair of T-Bar cichlids (Cryptoheros sajica) and have about 100 fry now. I took out my school of Black and Red Phantom tetras (I had 9) to keep them safe from the protective cichlid parents. As a school they were lousy, not really schooling until the T-Bars got protective, and bickering amongst themselves for dominance. I don't think I'll return them to the tank when I remove the T-Bar fry. I can't suggest other fish from direct knowledge, but can attest to the tetras being "boring" when compared to the cichlids. They will end being one more tank decoration instead of adding to the tank's vitality. Also, I was told hatchets are too slow to escape the cichlids. The cats may eat the cichlid's eggs if they spawn (or die trying).

For pix of my tank check out my other posts.

Last edited:

retrohwcm

Registered Member
Dec 26, 2005
Keith:

It sounds like you have got a good idea for your set-up. You chose firemouths, which will be able to live out their full lives in the tank size that you now have. The teras' will serve as dithers for your firemouths. If you get the firemouths as juvs, then all they will proabably do is occasionally chase the tetras around the tank until they get older. When they get older, the firemouths may end up snatching up a tetra or two as a snack, especially if you get a mated pair. The corey's will serve as a clean-up crew to pickup the bits of food that the firemouths do not eat. Also, the natural mild aggression from the firemouths will also insure that your tetras and corey cats form schools, if you have enough of each. The schooling visual is relaxing to watch and the interesting behaviors of firemouths will enterain you for years to come. Good luck!

Dan

retrohwcm

Registered Member
Dec 26, 2005
Keith:

One thing to add. Firemouths are notorious for being very picky about chosing a mate. If you are truly looking for a mated pair, your best chance is to purchase 5-6 firemouth juvs and wait until you get a pair. Once you get a pair, you will need to immediately remove the remaining firemouths. A lot of your LFS will allow you to buy 5-6 and return the leftover fish later after you get your pair. Make sure you ask BEFORE you make the purchase. I suggest trying a LFS and not Petco/Petsmart/Walmart. None of the larger chains will allow you to return your fish after a period of a week or two.

Dan

hughitt1

Registered Hamster Rancher
Jun 18, 2006
Maryland
en.wikipedia.org
Thanks Dan and Rag,

I think I will give it a shot, although i'm going to look around a little more first and see if some livebearers might be more compatable with the cichlids (or less like to get harassed),.. I think i'll add alot of driftwood (as long as the fish are all suitable for that kind of chemistry) and planting in the perimtered and back, that way there will be plenty of cover for smaller fish to dissapear into. I'm looking into building a cave out of slate or something similar too- that way the firemouths have somewhere to make there home. Thanks for the help :)

Take care,
Keith

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store