10 Gallon: Crabs & Lobsters

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bizzy928

AC Members
Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
Its me again, I searched the internet and these forums but I came up with next to nothing :(

Yesterday at Big Als, I saw a "Red Lobster." Its basically the same ones as we e@t... But this one was the size of two white erasers stacked on each other. Does anybody own these?

1) What do they eat?
2) How big do they grow?
3) Will they act like bottom feeders and feed on the gravel as well?
4) If I get a lobster, I can't get any bottom feeders or the lobster will attack/kill them right?

I also saw Fiddler Crabs and Asian Red Crabs.

5) Are fiddler crabs compatible with asian red crabs? And with the lobsters?

I

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Lobsters sold for FW aren't really lobsters. Most are some version of a cray fish--color morphs, or dwarf versions. However, most of these critters are not really compatible with many fish. They tend to grab sleeping fish and make snacks out of them.

For many crab species, they are not always FW, nor are they fully aquatic. Many people will argue about this, but IME, at some point in time, the cast majority of the crabs sold for aquariums decide to climb out--either up a heater cord, or a plant. If they can't get out of the water, they die. If they get out of the tank, they die--so provide internal escape, as well as a secure cover. Some crabs are okay with fish, some fish are okay with crabs. I wouldn't trust the crab with small fish, and I wouldn't trust a puffer within anything in a shell. Many cichlids are also hard on crustaceans.

bizzy928

AC Members
Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
Thank you for the reply!

I guess I won't do crabs then. If they are going to climb out, then that is a no-no.

The lobster is a dwarf size of the normal sized ones we eat. I might ask the LFS about them.

What i'm afraid of is when I siphon the water, will the lobster react badly to it? (Stress... die)

JVal

AC Members
Feb 4, 2003
Mich
Visit site
They won't stress out and die from syphoning. They may startle a bit and swim backwards away from the vac. Just move at slower pace and it'll be fine. Also IME a 10g is too small for more than one. My current blue crayfish would kill any other crayfish I put in his 10g. Though it could have been related to the sex of the crayfish or a territory issue. I don't really remember, haven't read up on them in quite awhile. I did however have 2 in a 29g a couple years back with no problems.

bizzy928

AC Members
Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
I won't keep more than one.

What do the lobsters eat?

Will they scavange the bottom and do what bottom feeders do?

Do lobsters need to go above water to breathe like fiddler crabs do?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store