Catalina Saltwater - Good or Bad?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

skiffalope

Washed up on the Reef
May 15, 2006
Riverside, CA
Anyone use Catalina Saltwater? I found a local retailer that sells it for about 60 cents/gallon. I've heard some good things about it, but I don't know how it measures up against say Instant Ocean. I'm considering going down the Catalina route only becase I don't have and R/O unit and I know really want to invest in one right now. Also, all my saltwater mixes have had low pH's and nothing I do seems to be able to boost them. Right now, I'm hanging around 8.0 and can't seem to get it to rise about 8.1. The Catalina water is 8.4 and has a density of 1.0025. But I don't know anything about trace elements in the water or anything else.

Keep in mind that I'm running a FOWLR tank until next May or June and then I plan to migrate into a reef tank.

If you know anything, good or bad, let me know.

oscar83

AC Members
May 21, 2004
Middletown, NJ
ive never heard of catalina before so i cant help you out with any info on it. i would suggest, however, to stick with what you've been using. a pH of 8.0 isnt a problem as long as its consistent. ive heard of people having great success with a reef with a pH as low as 7.8 even! As long as everything in your tank looks healthy and happy I wouldnt change a thing.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store