oops! Penguin 350 won't fit... What to exchange it for..

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Akysten

AC Members
May 28, 2006
My 37 gallon has a support bar across the middle, which means that I have 14 inches on the right and left... the Penguin is 15".

Options:

Modify filter to fit my tank.. - Probably a terrible idea..

Emperor 280 - Concern.... I want as much filtration as possible.. is this enough?

Whisper 60 - This will fit, (by a half inch.. 13.5")but how is the biological filtration compared to bio wheel?(or am I buying into marketing hype from Marineland?)

Aquaclear 70 - at only 8", will fit with ease. Ditto with the biological concerns

All are in the same price range. So... Which of these options are the best?

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
I notched the one on my 36g bowfront to make it fit. Smaller tanks don't really need the crosspiece, it's a just a support for the hood.

Press down on the crosspiece while the tank is filled with water. If there is a lot of give and it's obvious it's not really "doing" anything, you can notch it.

Roan

chinaman

AC Members
Dec 2, 2005
hawaii
Akysten said:
My 37 gallon has a support bar across the middle, which means that I have 14 inches on the right and left... the Penguin is 15".

Options:

Modify filter to fit my tank.. - Probably a terrible idea..

Emperor 280 - Concern.... I want as much filtration as possible.. is this enough?

Whisper 60 - This will fit, (by a half inch.. 13.5")but how is the biological filtration compared to bio wheel?(or am I buying into marketing hype from Marineland?)

Aquaclear 70 - at only 8", will fit with ease. Ditto with the biological concerns

All are in the same price range. So... Which of these options are the best?
I would go with either the emperor 280 or the aquaclear 70. The emperor is good for biological but if you are looking for alot of filtration then I would go with the aquaclear. IMO I think the aquaclear would be better because if you want as much filtration as possible, then the ac is for you and as for media you can run 2 of those sponges for the biological bacteria to colonize on and put biomax ceramic rings on top of the sponges.

Akysten

AC Members
May 28, 2006
You can stack the aquaclear? I've heard great things about them. Now, I don't know if I need more BIOLOGICAL filtration or just plain filtration. I'm not running messy fish... however.. I still like the idea of as much filtration as possible.

Roan..

I see what you're saying..the tank is only 30" across... it DOES have a sticker that says not to fill it if it's broken. There is quite a bit of give though. I might revisit...
You could also notch the 350 it ALMOST slides over the support, but I would have to notch the area where the intake comes down.

drgold

AC Members
Mar 1, 2006
Wausau, WI
I run a penguin 330 on my 37g tank and notched the crossbar. It's been like that for 2 years with no problems whatsoever. The AC70 is a great filter, too, and does plenty of biological filtration, maintains flow better, and is simple to clean. Plus, no cartridges to replace means you get to keep your bacteria.

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
drgold said:
I run a penguin 330 on my 37g tank and notched the crossbar. It's been like that for 2 years with no problems whatsoever. The AC70 is a great filter, too, and does plenty of biological filtration, maintains flow better, and is simple to clean. Plus, no cartridges to replace means you get to keep your bacteria.
Who replaces cartridges? I just use the same one over and over. I haven't changed the one out in my 330 in six months. I'll change to a coarse floss once these guys really fall apart.

Glad to see I'm not the only one brave (or dumb ;) ) enough to notch the crossbar :D

Rpam

chinaman

AC Members
Dec 2, 2005
hawaii
Roan Art said:
Who replaces cartridges? I just use the same one over and over. I haven't changed the one out in my 330 in six months. I'll change to a coarse floss once these guys really fall apart.
Well your not supposed to replace the cartriges at all unless like you said it starts to fall apart. I have a penguin330 and I dont change the cartriges either, I just remove the carbon from the cartriges and stuff it with a layer of bonded filter pad or micron padding.

twig

AC Members
Apr 28, 2006
I have a sponge and three biomax things in my aquaclear 30 o.o
You can fit lots in the AC it's crazy

chinaman

AC Members
Dec 2, 2005
hawaii
Akysten said:
You can stack the aquaclear? I've heard great things about them. Now, I don't know if I need more BIOLOGICAL filtration or just plain filtration. I'm not running messy fish... however.. I still like the idea of as much filtration as possible.
If stacking the media what you mean by "You can stack the aquaclear" then yes you can stack it. Like I said above instead of putting one of the sponges that come with the ac when you buy it you can purchase another sponge and stack it on top each other in the medai compartment. But if you dont have messy fishes then you can just use one sponge and the biomax.

Akysten

AC Members
May 28, 2006
So I guess, the answer to "which is better" is personal preference?
I'm hearing that I can't go wrong either way... even if I notch the crossbar... which I may still consider... I like the dual wheel idea.

Still, I'm starting over now because I've already returned the 350...
I kind of like the idea of the spraybar, so I like the emperor... no way I'm going to fit the Emperor 400 in the 37 gallon without cutting the crossbar completely.

Do you think that 280 is enough? It's rated up to 50, but on my 60 gallon, my filter is rated to 100g... I always like to go one step up, and I see here most people do too.

What I don't understand is that the Aquaclear is only 20gph more and rated for another 20 gallons. Is there really THAT much difference in the filtering capacity between the two?

The thing I like about the Aquaclear is tha the intake is on the left side, more to the center of the tank(I assume that's the best place for the intake?). I'd rather place the filter on the right side as it will be less visible in that location.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store