filter and substrate question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

karen99

AC Members
Nov 21, 2005
I just have some questions on the best filtration and substrate for Malawi's.
I bought a used tank which came with a non-working HOB filter. I like HOB's; I use an Aquaclear and find they work well and are cheap and quiet, plus this new tank's hood is already cut to fit a HOB.
But I know from experience that HOB filters, sand substrate, and digging fish DO NOT mix... the filter sucks the sand up and it gets caught in the impellor.
I have plenty of spare medium-small gravel and sand available... so I'm trying to decide between options:
1) Gravel substrate, HOB filter (which the fish might not enjoy as much)
2) Sand substate, some other filter (but I can't afford an expensive filter like a canister filter)
3) Sand substate, HOB filter with a spare filter sponge stuck over the filter intake, and hope that works to keep sand out of the filter

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
Option 3 is your best bet if you're worried about the sand.

I have a sand substrate but use a Penguin 200 and an XP3, both intakes are about 3 or 4 inches off the sand and don't suck up any sand. If there is any its usually less than a quarter of a teaspoon. I used to use sponges on the intake but don't bother anymore.

karen99

AC Members
Nov 21, 2005
The problem I had was when a grain or two of sand would get lodged around the impellor... it would make an awful grinding noise and I would sometimes spend 1/2 an hour trying to find that grain. After nearly a year of having to pick sand out I finally switched to gravel in that tank.
And, I just don't want that problem with my cichlid tank. The sand didn't seem to do any real damage to the pump but it was just a major annoyance.

~*LuvMyKribs*~

AC Members
Nov 15, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
www.aquaticescapes.ca
Try and get the finest grain sand as possible... that will help if any happens to get into the intake.

Keep the intake tube 5 inches or so off the sand. Add a sponge around the intake... you can buy sponges for this purpose that are small enough to catch the sand but porous enough to allow enough water through.

IMO adding a canister wont help much in terms of reducing sand getting caught in the filter... my XP3 rarely gets any in there but it did at first a bit.

Granted, only the larget of the Aquaclears will be enough filtration for Malawis. They are so messy, they can really benefit from extra filtration.

:)
-Diana

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store