4th times a charm???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cohazard

AC Members
Apr 6, 2004
Visit site
This is now my 4th try with the L-18 (gold nugget pleco) and finally!!! I finally got him to settle in nicely.

The last 3 times I tried to care for an L-18, they all died from not eating. But just a few minutes ago, I plopped some blood worms into my 10g quarantine and saw the lil guy scurry out from underneath some driftwood and pounce on the blood worms. I'm so relieved, his belly is nice and plump.

The other 2 exotic plecs in the q-tank right now are also eating and doing great (L-14 Golden Sunshine, and a red eye royal pleco.. not sure which kind).

I can sleep well tonight.

Here's some advice in case you've been going through a similar plight to me:

My first try, I didn't have enough hiding places.... my second try, I didn't have any spots in the tank with good current.

The third try, I kept fish that were too active with the L-18, and didn't let him come out without getting scared.

Now that I'm successful, here is how I did it:

1) Several hiding spots.... at least one per plec, and plants to block some of the front glass.
2) The only tank mates for the exotic plecs in quarantine is a male red-iranian rainbowfish. This lets them know it's safe, but there's not too much activity in the tank, so stress is minimal.
3) I left them alone. No pics, no "hiding" spots where I could see them.

I'll post new pics tomorrow now that they're doing good and coming out of hiding.

Thanks for hearing me out.

cohazard

AC Members
Apr 6, 2004
Visit site
Got some pics to share...

The gold nugget...

The sunshine....

The Q-tank....

As you can see, there is a lot of aeration, one hiding spot per pleco, and enough plants to break up their vision of the outside world. Their bellies are getting nice and fat. I still can't believe the gold nugget let me get that close to take a picture without fading colors.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store