All male or all female convict tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jighead

Dwarf Cichlid Fanatic
Mar 5, 2006
Everyone has heard the story of convicts spawning and killing all of the fish in the tank. I am playing with the idea of using a 29 gallon to create an all male or all female convict tank to keep the aggression and spawning to a minimum.

I have a few questions

1. Are there any advantages to having male convicts over female convicts? or vice versa?

2. How do you think that a school of fast target fish to occupy the upper layer of the tank such as zebra danios or a type of tetra do?

3. Would other cichlid tankmates be possible? (such as firemouths)

My original thought was 3-4 male or female convicts and a school of fast target fish in a sand bottom tank.

I like the idea of other cichlid tankmates and another possible setup might be 2-3 male or female convicts and single firemouth or other compatible cichlid also with a school of fast target fish in a sand bottom tank.

EDIT: i completely re-did the question

Thanks - Jighead

Last edited:

Jighead

Dwarf Cichlid Fanatic
Mar 5, 2006
After re-reading my old post I decided to rephrase my question. See above

Begemotik

Registered Member
Jan 9, 2006
Jighead said:
Everyone has heard the story of convicts spawning and killing all of the fish in the tank. I am playing with the idea of using a 29 gallon to create an all male or all female convict tank to keep the aggression and spawning to a minimum.

I have a few questions

1. Are there any advantages to having male convicts over female convicts? or vice versa?

2. How do you think that a school of fast target fish to occupy the upper layer of the tank such as zebra danios or a type of tetra do?

3. Would other cichlid tankmates be possible? (such as firemouths)

My original thought was 3-4 male or female convicts and a school of fast target fish in a sand bottom tank.

I like the idea of other cichlid tankmates and another possible setup might be 2-3 male or female convicts and single firemouth or other compatible cichlid also with a school of fast target fish in a sand bottom tank.

EDIT: i completely re-did the question

Thanks - Jighead
Hi Jighead,

1. I'm not sure about this.

2. My zebra danios get along very nicely with my "girls," two albino convicts.

3. Again, I'm not sure. However, my German ram, a very proud little bugger, seems to have convinced the much larger "girls" to let him be--for now (it's been 4 months so far, and he was in the tank before they were introduced).

My fish family, including a few pepper cories and a clown pleco, live in a 38g. It's especially fun to watch the two "caviar factories" trade off lining their little cave with eggs, which, of course, become tasty treats for them and their tankmates after a few days.

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
1. Im not positive, but I think females will be less aggressive toward eachother. That being said, 2 full grown females would be pushing a 29 gal IMO.

2. No small scooling fish will live with them for too long. You might have a nice school till the cons start getting bigger, then you'll have a bunch of expesnive feeder fish.

3. Other cichlids could live with cons in the right tank, but I would think your tank is too small to try it in.

Your tank idea would be a good one if either it was a bit larger, or convicts stayed 2-3" (sometimes I wish they would, they are much cuter as juveniles :p )

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store