Emperor BioWheel.. are they noisy? vs Aquaclear 70

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Akysten

AC Members
May 28, 2006
I'm basing this on my eclipse 12.. the wheel is rather noisy.

I was going to get the Emperor 280(300gph) or a Aquaclear 70(300gph). It LOOKs to me that the emperor would be less maintenance, but I wonder about the noise level. Since it's driven by a separate spray bar.. it might not be the inconsistant rotation of my Eclipse 12. Is the ever 20gph really that much of a difference?

I'm somewhat concerned about the Aquaclear as I've heard reports that if they get "clogged" that they can pump quite a bit of water out of your tank. I've had too many water disasters in my home with hardwood floors. I suppose this could happen with ANY filter.

reptileguy2727

Not enough tanks, space, or time
Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
i would go with the emperor. by far superior filtration over the aquaclear, and its not that noisy, but i guess that is more up to opinion. the only thing i find noisy is an air pump rattling against something.

D-Bak

The 'ICK'sterminator
Jun 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
i' ve go the 280, and i dont think that it is noisy at all.... You cant even hear it over the water noises created by it in the tank.....

jaymasta

AC Members
Jun 3, 2006
i think the trick with them is to keep the water high enough so it flows into it smoothly, so there is no water fall type effect.

Akysten

AC Members
May 28, 2006
It's the wheel, if I "STOP" the wheel or remove it, it's virtually silent. I think the wheel just needs more time to develop cultures... it's spinning relatively fast.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store