ap saltwater test kit...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

aquasane

Registered Member
Jun 26, 2006
I ordered the WRONG test kit (aquarium pharm master saltwater kit). Since I have it, I decided to open it just to see if there were any tests that could overlap. The only one is the nitrite. Can the pH and ammonia testing solutions in this kit be used for freshwater?? If so, are the instructions different for the freshwater pH and ammonia? In other words: What tests from the saltwater kit can be used for freshwater?

I looked at the thread that has the different color cards and downloaded them. I noticed that the one for the freshwater ammonia test is one that only uses one bottle... if I can use the ammonia test that I have (the 2 bottle one), are the colors the same?

A totally bad purchase on my part, trying to make the best of it :rolleyes: :)

Thanks for your help!!

Also, I tried the ammonia test in a new tank (no fish yet, a lot of tiny ramshorns that came on plants, using those snails to cycle it) and the color was bright yellow. On the saltwater color card it indicated 0 ammonia. But on the freshwater color card I downloaded yellow means high ammonia. Soooooo, I don't know if these tests can be used in freshwater, if so, what colors should I follow??

Last edited:

beatle

AC Members
Dec 7, 2005
Alexandria, VA
www.mdbbox.com
Ammonia and nitrate tests do not overlap. I tried this myself, thinking I could get out of buying a SW test kit when I started my SW tank. The colors are very similar to me on the FW and SW kits, though I'm colorblind. :cool:

plah831

Am I mod enough?
Apr 29, 2006
Monterey Bay, CA
What is the difference between how SW and FW test kits work?
A few (one kit I've seen by Seachem, and Wardley ammonia test) say they will work in either. Besides testing for different things, is the chemistry or reagants any different?

I've wondered about this myself.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store