Sick Dwarf Gourami?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lorazoo

AC Members
May 17, 2006
Deerfield Beach, Florida
Wow, thats alot of Dwarf Gouramis in your tank? Any aggression? I'm no expert but it looks like ulcers from bacterial infection. This is usually caused by poor water quality. Gouramis are very sensitive. Have you tested your water lately? How often do you do water changes? This info would be very helpful.

gaines

Ruler of the Blue Lagoon
May 14, 2006
Nashville, TN
The tank with the gouramis is a 55gallon long and the ammonia/nitrates/nitrites all look good. Other than a thin film of algae that's popped up since I've been leaving the light on, everything looks quite healthy.

Gouramis don't seem to be very active but they perk up when it's feeding time. No flashing, listing, or any other behavior to make me think they're sick.

Kiel'thalin

AC Members
Jun 12, 2006
Are you using a under the gravel filter system? I have a friend who has the same problem with his Gourami (the spots in your pic). We couldn't figure it out, has perfect water conditions and he does regular water changes. The only thing I can make sense out of it is the filtration system is fouling them up?

TheZoo

Curiouser and curiouser!
Apr 12, 2006
melting in Houston, TX
There is a thread in Gen Freshwater about another sick gourami....the consensus, I believe, is that Gouramis, especially Dwarf Gouramis, have been "messed with" so much by selective breeding, adding stuff to their water and bodies to make them flashier looking, that its seriously weakend the species. Or at least, the ones regularly available. They are now very prone to all sorts of parasites and diseases. Its so sad, this happens every time a breed or any species becomes popular. Backyard breeders abound, trying to make a few dollars, and the animals are the ones who suffer. I have been wanting to add a D. Gourami to my larger tank for ahwile ,but now Im not so sure. They sure are beautiful fish though!
I dont have much advice for you though, sorry. Just keep his water nice and clean by doing water changes every day or other day. Have you medicated him with anything?

Kiel'thalin

AC Members
Jun 12, 2006
Well, that would explain why my friends Gouramis died and all the other fish are virtually not effected. They seem to get to a certain size then they start to have problems or what?

gmiller1122

AC Members
Jul 6, 2005
I bought 3 D. Gouramis a few months ago, and all of them have died. They were very calm fish, and very pretty -- too bad about the over-breeding, etc.

gaines

Ruler of the Blue Lagoon
May 14, 2006
Nashville, TN
I don't have an undergravel filter. I'm using two Eclipse II hoods which keep the water very clean. I haven't medicated and I'm doing partial water changes every few days now.

It's only one of my D. Gourami so it very well could be a weakness.

Kiel'thalin

AC Members
Jun 12, 2006
In my friend case the one Gouromis that looked healthy died first then the other is still alive though. Still all of his other fish are un-effected. How are your little guys doing?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store