Beating the Heat: Help!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ihatepavelbure

AC Members
Sep 27, 2005
Going out of town for three days, and the forecast is 85F which could see my two tanks climbing to that heat. So far during our heat wave we've regulated the temperatures by freezing tank water and dropping this tank-water-ice-cube into the tanks several times a day, and that's worked to keep the tanks around a max of 81F thus far. Obviously we can't do that when we're out of town.

My one tank has neons and a zebra loach. I am particularly attached to the loach.

Other has only two apple snails.

I can see the tanks possibly reaching a max temperature of 85 degrees, and I'm panicking! What can I do? We don't have AC. We have a heater in the fish tank, though not with the snails...but their tank fluctuates on a regular basis anyway, and they seem to be able to withstand it.

cyborob

AC Members
May 24, 2006
Pacific NW
Don't have a cure for your heat but maybe some comfort. I did the salt and heat treatment for ich at 87 degrees for 2 weeks and didn't lose any of my fish or shrimp.

Panda Corys are suppose to heat and salt sensitive and they did just fine.

So it's just a guess but I think your fish will be fine.

Alestro Bakai

Shaman of the Whills
Apr 20, 2006
Same here. The first time my main tank temp climbed to 84, I thought I'm having a cardiac arrest. Ran back and forth with cold water and slowly brought down the temp over the course of 2 hours. Some other time I added ice cubes...

Then I realized that my fish are healthy and quite sturdy. Now when I walk by the tank and I see the temp at 84-85 temporarily, I open the hood and all you'll get out of me is a shoulder shrug.

Not much I can do... welcome to California. :cool:

Ms.Bubbles

AC Members
Sep 26, 2005
I've heard many people report success in cooling their tanks by opening the tops of their aquariums and blowing 1 or 2 small fans over the surface of the water.

If there's no live plants, you could get some plastic mesh/egg crate material so that nothing can jump out...

mduros

AC Members
Sep 20, 2005
Chicago, Illinois
www.maryduros.com
I have the same problem and the fan method works. And you don't have to buy expensive aquarium fans, small desktop or clip on fans will work. Pics of my tanks after installing fans...

Pointed out the back of the canopy hood of the 55 gallon...

Tank had been at 86 degrees before implementing fan in the 55 gallon...

10 gallon Newt tank...

10 gallon Newt tank had been at 86 degrees before implementing fan...

Can't resist... A very curious McGloop...

Give it a try, I was really amazed by how much it cools off the tanks and still need to do the rest, I have 3 more. It's also a good idea to add a bubblestone if your tanks may get hot. Hotter water has less dissolved oxygen and the bubblestone will help agitate the water surface so your oxygen levels will stay a little higher.
Good luck and take care,
Mary.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store