Bacteria infection

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

punkpook

AC Members
Nov 10, 2005
Tennessee
www.geocities.com
Okay heres the deal.

I have a 30 gal tank with 2 moors, and 2 fantail goldfish.

They used to be in a 10 gal tank.. but it exploded... so.. now they've been moved.

Ph is fine. Ammonia is fine. nitrates fine. temp fine.

one black moor.. i found him yesterday. the fantails were pecking at him and he was floating aimlessly.. i thought he was dead. Nope still breathing. I cant put him in my hospital tank, ive got a red tailed shark in there being treated for fin rot and i just know he'll eat him.

So I set up a bowl...
put some parasite clear in there.
I used fish med food, but hes not eating.. he just sits there swimming every once in awhile. His scales look like they are coming off, and he has the red fins and tail. I believe it to be a bacteria infection. My other black moor is sitting on the bottom of the tank hiding... but he comes out to eat. So I dont know if he is going to get the same thing...the fantails seem fine.

I thought it was the ammonia, water change was about 3 weeks ago when the 10 gal exploded. (yes it exploded really) but after testing it doesnt seem so. but i put some crystals in the tank anyway to absorb ammonia.

I've also topped it off in the last week. My mom thinks it was the ammonia and the fish picking at him caused the infection. My question is.. what do i need to do to treat him? He seems to be getting better, hes moving now, which he wasnt doing last night. I just want to get him better fast so he doesnt have to stay in the bowl locked up so the cats cant get him. Hes used to a heated filterd tank as well and im afraid hell get stressed. Oh and I also put some stress coat on him in the bowl.

Sorry this was soo long. Hope someone can help.

reptileguy2727

Not enough tanks, space, or time
Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
well, even though he is the only one with symptoms, if it is in the tank it is in the tank, and whatever stressed him enough to open him up to infection could be stressing the others and they could be on their way to illness. so i would put him back in the main tank, treat the entire tank for bacterial infection. then try to find out what is stressing them in the first place. ammonia and nitrites should be 0. so if the tank is already established you shouldnt have to worry about either of those. what temp do you keep the tank at? you said heated and in most homes goldfish tanks dont need to be heated. what type of filter do you have on there? for goldfish in a 30 you should have a filter rated for at least 60 gallons. what is your water change schedule? you said you did one 3 weeks ago when the 10 gallon exploded. water changes on a fish tank should be weekly and at least 50% (especially for goldfish). even if nitrates arent above about 40ppm (the point at which a water change NEEDS to be done) it is still better to do big frequent water changes. all my tanks (including a 55 goldfish tank) get at least 50% water changes at least weekly and i have never had any fish thrive the way all of mine have started to since starting this water chaneg schedule. i have found that goldfish tend to do better with a little salt and an air stone. my 55 gets about 2 tablespoons after every 50% water change. many will tell you that salt should never be used in a freshwater aquarium, but i have seen firsthand that goldfish tend to do much better with a little. and the air pump is something i dont like using in general, but again have seen how much better goldfish do with one than without it, so mine get one. so improve care as best you can (not saying you werent doing that before) and treat in tank so all possibly developing infections are wiped out as well. it is much more stressful for him to be in a bowl than in a real tank setup, so where he is now is just going to make things worse.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store