Building a shell for a stand.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Skippy

Grand Poobah of Fun
Aug 22, 2000
Dallas, TX
web.of.slacking.net
I have recently acquired and set up a 100g tank in my front living room.

I love it, but the stand is of the generic looking stained pine variety, and it doesnt match up well with the rest of the room.

I was considering building a three sided "shell" to wrap around this stand and match up with everything else, has anybody else done something like this?

Also in the end was to build a canopy top to match it.

Rosshaven

Registered Member
Nov 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
Visit site
Skippy,

A wrap-around would look just fine as long as you used trim, etc. to cover up where you've added it to the outside of the tank. - 1/4 round or such. When you make your cover, you could make sure it "sticks out" as far as your new wrap-around so it looks like it was always meant to be.

I am in the process of finishing off my new tank cover for my 108 gallon. I used good one-side plywood for the frame - painted the water side with marine-grade varathane (non-toxic after dry) which needs about 4 good coats to be water proof long-term.

I covered my frame with oak flooring taken up when we renovated and trimmed around the outside with 3/4 x 6" oak. I'm at the finishing stage now and it is looking wonderful.

I hope yours turns out well too!:D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store