Trying to set up a 10g eco system i need ideas on fish and inverts

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

almsk8s4life

AC Members
Dec 27, 2005
yeh as it says i want to create a very effecient eco system in a 10 gallon its very small but i think it is possible becuase i have seen 10 gallon reef tanks that are just amazing filled with snails crabs and other organisms what type of fish and inverts would you guys suggest to put with fiddler crabs, plecos and pictus catfish? those are the only fish i could think of. for inverts like snails what type of snails should i get ive only had experience with moonlight mystery snails and they always die

kuhliloach

NannerPuss
Dec 4, 2006
i would be able to help u but i no nothing about marine aquariums and ten gallon reefs are too small, too crammed and crouded.

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
marine nano-tanks as ecosystems are entirely different than freshwater set-ups. they are "small, cramped and crowded" because they can be. reefs contain lots of tiny organisms but also lots of filtration by way of live rock and sand, which keeps the water clean and safe. a freshwater "ecosystem' would need to be heavily planted and very understocked with fish in order to be anywhere near a marine tank.

all plecos get too big for a 10g, fiddler crabs need dry land and water, and pictus cats also get too large for a 10g. your snails probably die because your cichlids eat them.

WeeNe858

AC Members
Dec 16, 2006
wataugachicken said:
marine nano-tanks as ecosystems are entirely different than freshwater set-ups. they are "small, cramped and crowded" because they can be. reefs contain lots of tiny organisms but also lots of filtration by way of live rock and sand, which keeps the water clean and safe. a freshwater "ecosystem' would need to be heavily planted and very understocked with fish in order to be anywhere near a marine tank.

all plecos get too big for a 10g, fiddler crabs need dry land and water, and pictus cats also get too large for a 10g. your snails probably die because your cichlids eat them.

yep.. and the variety of inverts/cleaners are to miniscule in freshwater to do us any good

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store