brown algae.. I think... HELP!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Akysten

AC Members
May 28, 2006
I have this reddish brown "something" that seems to be clinging to my plants. It CAN be rubbed off of plants like Swords, but it's impossible with delicate plants. It's really starting to explode. The water is crystal clear. The numbers are perfect.. Am 0 NI 0 nad NITRATES are very very low..

Two questions:

What is it?

What can I do about it?

Tanks specs:

60 gallon (tall), planted.. well... 12 plants, and they aren't firmly established, the tank isn't that old.

112w of lighting..

1 Pleco
3 Boesmani Rainbow
5 Praecox Rainbow
1 Turquise Rainbow
6 Pristilla Tetras
3 Clown Loach

My 12 gallon doesn't show any signs of this, but the lighting stinks!

CatLover

Rummy Nose Tetra Fanatic
Jan 4, 2006
Texas
same here, a few otos can clean that stuff off in nothing flat. It sounds kinda like brown diatom algae... not positive at all- just a guess. Is there any on the glass? Your plec may be taking care of the glass, though. It might be hard to tell with him/her in there.

djlen

Fish?.......What Fish?
Aug 19, 2002
Somerdale, New Jersey USA
Can't be sure without a picture, but it sounds like you are describing Diatoms.
This algae usually appears in new (even up to 6 Mons. of age), immature tanks that have not established themselves fully. If that describes the age of your tank that's probably what it is.
Just keep cleaning it up and add a few Otos if you like and over time it will start to recede.

Len

Akysten

AC Members
May 28, 2006
Yes, the tank is in that range... I hadn't planned on putting ottos in that tank.. but I might just do that. When they finish the work and it get "established" I can put them in one of my other tanks... if needed.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store